Unearthing

This is set in a parallel version of Earth in 2040. It's more advanced because there is no dark energy or matter so scientists didn't get held up on that mystery. Warning: Contains mild language.

Celena opened the front door, the afternoon light pouring in to her house from behind her. From the front door, she could see almost their whole house. It was a spacious, two story, modern house, illuminated with tons of windows, telescopes in almost every one. 

To the right of her was the living room, a white leather couch and two matching chairs facing a TV, with a rug covering the light wood floor. A walnut coffee table rested in the center, home to her parent's documents and binoculars. And a casual moon rock. Next to the living room was the dining room, a walnut table with matching chairs, thin streams of galaxy-like resin pouring through the middle. Behind that was the kitchen, complete with light wood countertops. The counter was shaped in a sideways U, two sides pressing against the wall and the other stretching out, providing the bar. There were white seats with metal legs lining up against it. The fridge was on the end of the other arm of the U, the stove a couple feet of countertop away. To the right of the kitchen was the stairs, leading up to a platform with four doors, her bedroom, her parents bedroom, the bathroom, and her parent's office/lab/observatory(it had a latter that led up to the roof). 

She listened for any noise that might mean her parents were home. Of course not, they're testing out the new R-40 today. She thought. They probably over the moon, literally. Her parents were astronauts(and unprofessional astrophysicists) and while they were some of the best and got to go to deep space and new planets, test out the non-released rockets, and would sometimes let her co-pilot one(once in a blue moon because it looks so much cooler from in space), they weren't around much. She knew they loved her and she wanted to be an astronaut when she grew up, but she missed them. 

Celena sighed, put down her backpack, and sat on the couch. She turned on the TV. 

"Alva Arif has officially opened up the twelfth space hotel and it is better and cheaper than ever!" The reporter exclaimed as a Venus-36 shot into space. Eh, Celena thought, I liked the Eclipse hotel better. She'd gone with her family the year before. She switched the channel.  

"As the Andromeda Galaxy comes closer and closer, scientists predict that, in a year, the HH Andromedae will crash into Earth." A reporter announced, with a grim look.

Celena sighed. Everyday, new predictions were made as scientists desperately tried to find out how to stop the universe from collapsing on itself. She heard the familiar distant splash and of a small meteor crashing into the ocean. Today the situation seemed more dire than ever. Turning off the TV, she set the remote on the coffee table and walked upstairs to her bedroom. 

Her bedroom was at the end of the platform and wasn't like most sixteen year old girl's bedrooms. Her bed was in the middle of the room, the headboard pressed against the wall opposite the door. It was covered in a dark blue and white comforter with a purple underside. Above her bed was a huge poster of the Carina nebula, and other posters of the Cat's Eye nebula, Red Box nebula, and the Boomerang nebula, her four favorite nebulas. To the right of the door was her desk, topped with her computer and countless models of rockets made out of anything you could imagine, Legos, wood, plastic, rubber, metal, plaster, wire. Above her desk, bookshelves crammed with books of all kinds clung to the wall, a moon cycle chart and yearly special moons chart underneath them. Next to her bed was her prized possession, a gift from her parents for her fifteenth birthday, her space suit. Build to withstand negative three hundred degrees Fahrenheit and up to three hundred and ten degrees Fahrenheit, she could explore space, if her parents ever let her go out of the spaceship. It was also compact and foldable. Lastly, her telescopes pointed out of the windows on the right wall. 

The evening went on uneventfully, and as she got ready for bed she looked out of her telescope as she did every night. It was a clear night, an apogee micro-moon too. As she scanned the sky, a faint purple dot caught her eye. She took out the strongest telescope she had. After close examined, she found that the purple dot seemed to be a pulsing purple galaxy. Excitement ran through her. 

 For three nights, she examined it, and the more she did, the more confused she became. The only conclusion she could come to was that is was some kind of energy source that could repel matter. The exact thing that could stop the universe from collapsing. The exact thing that could save the world.

"Holy shit." 

Thank you guys so much for making this #2 in telescope out of 1.4k stories!!!!!!