Hero Mission

~Ky~

"Layla I can't buy you a mansion, that's ridiculous!"

"Why not?" Layla whined. 

"Because my parents would kill me! We have the money for it but I can't go buying you mansions!"

"Hmm.... Please?" Layla asked, batting her eyelashes. Ky sighed, rubbing his temple at the upcoming headache. He was tired of Layla's antics and had been for a while.

"No."   She rested her hands on his shoulders, pouting.

"Come on! It's only four acres, babe. And so pretty too! You know how much I want to live away from my parents. Be a good boyfriend."

"I said no."  Layla looked taken aback. She was not used to anyone denying her, Ky especially. She had even pouted and he still said no.

"Well, if you don't buy me this mansion I'm breaking up with you!"

"Okay, I guess we're over," Ky responded nonchalantly.

"What? No, b-babe! I didn't mean it!" Layla continued protesting but Ky just drowned it out as he walked away.

"You can't do this to me!"

"Actually, I can." And with that he slammed the door in her face.

~~~

Without having Layla to talk in the morning, Ky got to school before everyone else. He sat at his desk for a good five minutes before anyone else came. It was a smart girl. Celena. He remembered vaguely. He had never really noticed her before, but as she walked into the classroom he couldn't help noticing that the florescent lights glinted on her light blonde hair and in a sort of halo. 

He snapped his attention back to his desk, trying to thinking about Layla and how he was glad they'd finally broken up because he'd been wanting too for a while, but his attention kept shifting to Celena and the way her blue eyes twinkled like stars when she spaced out...

No. Absolutely not. He could already hear his father's disapproval in his head. But when did his father ever give a damn about him? About what he wanted? Dating Layla was his father's idea anyway and look how well that turned out. The more he thought about his father the more frustrated he became. He stood up.

"Hi," Ky said. He was acutely aware of how upset his voice sounded and cursed at himself. Talking to Layla was so much easier than this.

"Oh, uh... hi?" Celena responded. She looked up at him and he caught his breath. She was so pretty, how had he never noticed that before? Her pink lips contrasted her pale face, and her blue eyes twinkled like stars.

"I like your shirt," He said dumbly. I probably sound like some dumb idiot and she's going to tell me to get lost right about now. I bet a lot of boys hit on her.

"Thanks," She said, and he could hear the confusion in her voice. Damn it.

Trying to keep his cool he slowly walked back to his seat. Then a different girl walked in-no, bounced in-and struck up a conversation with Celena. As he continued through the day, he couldn't help thinking about Celena. He realized through the day that she was everything Layla didn't have and more. Kindness, humor, knowledge, determination, and the godly ability to win almost every argument in debate class. By the end of the day, he felt as if he already knew her.

Finally, at the end of astronomy class, Ky got the chance to talk to her. She was drawing in her notebook and the drawing, Ky noticed, was of a galaxy. The drawing was intricately sketched and Ky felt like he was staring right out of his telescope. 

"That's really good, I didn't know you could draw!" He said, expecting another 'thanks'. Instead, Celena hugged the journal and rushed out of the room, face white as a sheet. Bewildered, he slung his backpack over one shoulder and hurried after her. But when he got into the hallway he couldn't see her in the lively crowd of students ready to go home. Sighing, he walked out of the school.

Danae, his chauffeur, was waiting in his limo-even though he was early. Danae was practically family, and to Ky's satisfaction Danae hated Ky's brother Sebastian(or Sebastard as Ky called him) as much as Ky did. Which was saying a lot.

He hopped in the limo and Danae looked at him.

"You're doing it again."

"Doing what?" 

"That face, did something happen with Layla again?" Ugh, Danae always knew what was wrong.

"We broke up. It's fine. I don't care."

"I'm sorry. But she really was something. It's probably for the best she's gone."

"You can gloat. You were right. Just get it over with." Ky grunted. Danae raised her eyebrow. 

"You never let me gloat. Did something else happen at school?" Ky went silent. Danae looked over at him pursing her lips, but said nothing.

~~~

Over the week, Celena's behavior got weirder and weirder, until Ky was obsessively trying to figure out what she was up to. He figured out her that she spent her free periods in the library, and one day he decided to look at her notes while she was in the bathroom.

The Vis section. A galaxy that repels matter. The STARS-37. A map of NASA. Theft of a rocket. What the hell was Celena up to?

He darted away before she could catch him, but one thing was clear: Celena could never do this. without his help. And what was a better way of getting the girl than helping her with her hero mission?