3

The place is air conditioned and cool, busy students weaving in and out like ants. Aeri's struggling to find her name on the list. She has to get her timetable now and get to know her schedule way ahead of things so she doesn't mess up spontaeneously. It's how it's always been. Organised, little clumsy Aeri.

She has on a loose blue sweater and biker shorts, again, fitting the spring season. An NYC cap sits on her head. A muffled song with electric guitar swims around in her mind through an earbud.

She fidgets with her phone in hand. Why does this feel so refreshing and nerve wracking - like the first day of school all over again?

"Uchinaga Aeri," she tells the secretary finally as she points at her name on the sheet between them.

The secretary looks up at her.

"Linguistics, Class 4."

Aeri smiles a small smile at her before taking the sheet and walking off towards a hallway.

...

"Ningningie, open up! Your good friends Jimin and Minjeong are here," Jimin singsongs outside Yizhuo's door, rocking back and forth on her feet.

Yizhuo throws it open, bookbag slung over her shoulder. She shuts it with her heel.

Minjeong digs through her backpack and pulls out two packets of strawberry milk. She hands one to Yizhuo, then Jimin.

The walk to campus is leisurely, slow. Jimin scuffs fallen blossom petals around with her toes, catches falling ones in the air with her free hand. Minjeong whistles a soft tune.

"Where's yours?" Yizhuo asks, turning to Minjeong, straw in mouth.

"Already had it," Minjeong hums, thumbs under the bag straps. Cropped blonde hair swishes around her face as she bounds beside Yizhuo.

Yizhuo frowns. "Sure?"

"Sure." Minjeong pulls out a receipt just to reassure her. "Was our Ningning worried about me?"

"No. Starve," Yizhuo snorts, sipping harder. After a few more steps, she clears her throat. "Uh, actually, I'm... sorry. For pushing you guys out of my house. That wasn't cool at all."

"It's alright." Jimin smiles and pats her on the shoulder. "We know you're trying."

"It's been fuckin years," Yizhuo groans.

"We know," Minjeong says. "But the anger issues thing didn't start until early last year, and you're seeing Taeyeon! So that's progress."

"Okay, Nurse Kim." Yizhuo flicks her ear playfully. Minjeong swats her and they look at each other laughing.

"I just wanna apologise," Yizhuo sighs finally. "I won't do it again. I mean, to hell if I do, I feel super sorry."

"You're forgiven," Jimin snaps and turns around to slap Yizhuo's butt. "Now shut up and stop self pitying your sorry ass!"

Yizhuo yelps and smacks Jimin back.

They reach the campus and climb up the steps leading to the main lobby.

"See you guys later," Jimin says, turning to head to her 8am. Minjeong presses a quick kiss to her cheek.

"Bye!" she laughs. Yizhuo waves beside her.

"I gotta go to class too," Yizhuo says. "See you later."

"I'm so proud of you," Minjeong cooes, referring to her earlier apology. Yizhuo makes a gagging noise and rolls her eyes, but smiles.

To the despair of many Koreans, Yizhuo is ultimately SMU's school's top student, and has been for two years straight. No one torments her, but they do ostracise her. Not that Yizhuo really cares. She has always been confident in her abilities anyway, so she struts right past darting eyes and hushed conversations towards Lia.