Chapter 3

Today I decided I would ask Lana out. If I didn’t, I could lose my chance anytime now. I just couldn't watch her be with someone else. I'd be happy for her, of course, because she’s my favourite person in the world, but I want to be her person.

I decided to tell her before school. It would give her time if she wanted, time she could think about it, but if not, I'd have lost any chance with her, and possibly my best friend forever.

I arrived at her house earlier than usual since I needed to practise what I was going to say. I waited a few minutes and then knocked on the door.

‘Okay, you got this there's no going back now,’ I thought to myself.

Lana answered the door, and after a moment, we went on our way to school. I was extremely nervous, but it was now or never. I took a deep breath and held her arm to stop her for a second and she looked at me with curiosity and a bit of concern on her face.

"Lana, I've got something I want to tell you, and I hope it's mutual. If it's not, I really hope it doesn't ruin our friendship. Anyway, what I wanted to say was, I've had a crush on you for as long as I can remember, and I was wondering if you'd like to go on a date with me sometime?" I quickly asked, feeling the heat rising on my face.

I patiently waited, I needed to wait for her response. I looked at her and noticed she was shocked beyond belief. Well, that's not the reaction I wanted. What if I made a mistake? Should I have kept it to myself? It's too late to abort now.

To say I was shocked was an understatement. I do like Tyson, so maybe if I went on a date with him, I could forget about Alexis and move on. Tyson’s a great guy so what's the harm in going on one date? I did plan on coming out to him today but I don't think this is the best time right now.

“I’d love to go on a date with you Tyson,” I reply. I really hope I made the right decision, and I don't regret this in the future.

‘Wait did she just say yes? Holy shit! She said yes! Tyson you idiot, you need to reply! Be cool, you got this.’ I thought to myself. ‘I can't believe I'm going on a date with Lana! I must be dreaming. Alright, deep breaths, and use your words.’

“Really? That's great, um, I’ll text you the day, time, and details later on today. I didn't think this far ahead. I fully expected you to say no.”

“That's okay, Ty, but we should get going before we are late for school.”

Tyson nodded when he realised, I was right, and we continue on our way towards school. I'm not looking forward to going to school for several reasons, Alexis being high on my very short list.

We made our way to school, and because we made it on time, we went our separate ways since we both had different classes. Unfortunately for me, Alexis was in my first class. I walked in and she looked at me before turning away quickly – like she just got caught staring. I just mentally shrugged and sat down; today was going to be a long day.

The last bell of the day rang. Thank goodness! I was making my way to my locker when suddenly I was pulled into an empty classroom.

I was on high alert, and without thinking I flipped the person onto the ground, using the self-defence I knew. I looked down at the culprit and it was Alexis. I just flipped my crush and now she knew I can sort of fight, which will probably cause many questions.

‘Calm down think about that later, she could be hurt.’

“Shit, I'm so sorry, I didn't realise it was you. Are you okay?” I asked.

“You flipped me! You can fight! How? Since when?”

‘Ah, here came the questions. I'll deflect them like I always do.’

“Forget that, why did you bring me here?” I ask as her confused look went to a frown. I don't like seeing her sad or concerned.

“I wanted to talk to you. I don't understand why we can't be friends. Why does it matter what my friends think? Clearly, you can handle yourself, I just want to understand, and I'd really like to get to know you better, please,” Alexis said, reaching out and touching my arm.

I was stunned. She wanted to get to know me. I thought after our last conversation, she would never talk to me again. Like, I'd be lying if I said that it doesn't make me happy because it does, and even though I said yes to going on a date, I still like her very much.

I feel sick that I led Tyson on. That's unfair to him, but I'll still go on the one date and after that, if I truly don't feel anything for him, I'll tell him and come out to him.

“Alexis, you know why we can't - and sure I can handle myself but it's not worth the drama. Don't get me wrong, I want to be your friend, but it's not that simple. If you could please keep me being able to fight between us, that would be muchly appreciated.” I look at her, and she takes her hand off my arm.

“Lana, please, I'll drop them as friends if it makes it easier. Please, I really like you and I know it's early, but I know how I feel, so please be my friend.”

To say I was speechless was an understatement. Alexis would drop her friends for me just so we could be friends, and as much as I'd like that – even though her friends are horrible people – I can't do that to her.

“Alexis, I can't ask you to drop your friends for me. We barely know each other, and trust me, once you get to know me, you'll regret dropping your friends.”

“You didn't ask me to. I offered, plus they are nice people, but you are too, and you can't change my mind. I'm dropping them, so we’re friends now. I’ll text you later,” she winked at me before walking away.

‘What the actual fuck just happened? This just made everything more complicated than it already was. I'm so fucked.’

edited january 5th thanks to my friend