Lindsey ➰ cousins

I sat at my desk, converses plonked on the surface. I twiddled a pencil in between my fingers. My bedroom door barged open. "You, your cousins are staying for the summer so you better clean your room!" Mum scolded, I groaned. Last time I'd seen those cousins one of them was like 4 and the other was 6 - so was I at the time- but, it was so weird. Our parents would make us bath together, including Luke. And because we were young, we didn't see a problem. I kicked a pile of clothes into my wardrobe and put a pile of pens into a pot. 

-(-)-)-(-)-(-)-(-)-

By the time I'd finished cleaning and collapsing on my bed the doorbell rung. I left my room at the same time as Luke. I mouthed, 'help me' to him causing him to chuckle. He brushed a sandy coloured wave of hair off of his face and followed me down stairs. Mum lined us up in an orderly line and the opened the door. A woman with dark hair and a matching skin tone smiled a drew my mother into a hug. A man that looked surprisingly like Luke patted my dad on the back. Two people remained standing in the door way. The eldest was a male with curly brown hair, and a mix of his parents skin tones. I looked to the other girl, she looked about 12, 13? And just like her mother. My mum embraced my uncle Peter into a hug. They were siblings and hadn't seen each other in 10 years! "Dinners all ready so just leave your luggage here and come with me." Mum smiled and motioned for the kids to come in. 

"Hi! Do you two remember me? I'm your auntie Aniyah. You two have grown up so much!" My auntie said to Luke and I. I had faint memories of her. 

I gave her wide smile as Luke said, "Yes, it's been a while." 

"Anyway, these are your cousins, Jayla," She motioned to the girl, "and Kris." With a swift movement of her hand she was pointing at the male. I gave an awkward wave, which was returned by the two. We all began to walk to the kitchen. I sat down to a barbecue and garlic bread. Yum. We began serving up. 

"So, Jayla and Kris will be going to school with you guys for the summer, what's your favourite part of the school and stuff. Tell us about it!" My uncle Peter asked with a broad grin.

"Um, my favourite part is obviously my friends but other than that... probably... the sports teams." Kris gave me a nod of agreement. I smirked at him, feeling proud of myself for the progress. 

"I like the art class." Luke smiled but swallowed hard. Auntie Aniyah took an interest to this.

"Oh, what is it that you like in art, Luke?" Auntie Aniyah asks.

"Painting."

She nods.

————*————*————*————

After lunch, Luke and I take Kris and Jayla to there new room. They would be sharing. We entered the room. There was a big red bookshelf covering a whole of the wall and the two beds opposite each other. To section it of there was wall going down the middle with a door in between. They both had an on suite either side. Jayla chose the side on the back, I went through with her. "Do you remember anything about us?" She looked as if she was thinking.

She broke into a slight grin, "Honestly, nothing." 

I smiled. We talked for ages about school our friends, what we were looking forward to, some boy talk and a LOT of laughing.