03|NEWNESS

Haku had made you a bento. Everything was made up of human ingredients. Your eye twitched down at the meal, but you eventually tried some of the rice. It tasted somewhat different from what you were used to, but it wasn't bad.

"So, what are we doing today? Are we going to the market? You know... to see if the guy is selling that talisman," you asked. Haku brought a plate to the low-rise table you were sitting at.

"No, the market is being hosted in 2 weeks' time. For now, I need to help you adjust to human culture." Your face contorted at his words. Human culture... what a drag.

"So then what's on today's agenda?" He gave you a small and short smile before taking a bite of his meal.

"First, we'll find some clothes that'll help us blend in better. After that, we'll see where the day takes us." It didn't sound all that bad, but you hated that it was Haku and not Lin. She was just as qualified, if not more than him. It was basically torture, and you had a feeling that Yubaba knew exactly what she was doing.

"Well, what do I wear to go out now? I don't have anything." He pointed behind you, where you saw yours and his clothes folded.

"Oh... right. That's all we have right now." Your face was all mopey.

"Don't be like that. Just go change so that we can get out of here," he snapped. This was one of the many reasons why you hated Haku. He always thought he was better than you. Although he never said it, he acted like it.

"Whatever" was all you said before going to the bathroom to change. Everything looked so futuristic. It was hard to grasp the reality of it, despite knowing magic existed. You found necessary materials for your self care and quickly got to work. It didn't take long before you were fully dressed and ready to leave. Although you did it ever so swiftly, it was a struggle to get yourself into the small clothes.

Upon walking out of the building, you heard the birds sing, and the crickets tell stories of their short-lived summers. It was something you'd never heard before. It made you wonder if you'd ever lived before that moment.

"I know of a place where we can go get ourselves some clothes. The last time I was here was several decades ago, so Im not completely sure if it's still there." Several decades? Last you knew of it, he stole your latest other realm mission about a few months ago. It seemed so obscure just how fast time passed in the human realm.

"I think it's best if I just introduce you to your environment for today." You followed Haku around, trying to shield yourself from the scorching sun. Dreadful. Simply dreadful. Adding to it, you were hungry. Speak of the devil, he pulled you into a quaint shop. It was neatly decorated and had a display of different food at the counter.

"I had a feeling the bento I made wouldn't be enough," Haku admitted and handed you what seemed to be a menu. It had a small list of options. All foods you found familiar. There was a picture of an omelet spread gently over a thing of rice. You could choose from different toppings as well. Another picture showed a beautifully torched salmon with juices secreting from it. Rice would be served with plum. Your mouth was watering. As a spirit, you had the capacity to eat a lot. As a human? You weren't so sure... but it's always worth testing. Haku ordered two of the dishes you seemed most interested in and some soup for himself. Depressing, really. But that was typical of him. No wonder his taste was bland, considering how bland he was himself.

"So... what is there to explore here? Culture-wise, I mean." You and Haku had taken a seat near the back of the restaurant. It was dimly lit, as the sunlight only touched the front seats.

"I was thinking we could take some walks here and there. Learn the times, the culture... all of that. Just so we can prepare ourselves for what comes next." Right. The talisman. You'd nearly forgotten, though it was the main point of the mission. A thought came back from earlier. Why would someone steal a talisman? Surely humans would have the capacity to grasp its powers? Perhaps they just didn't believe in such? Maybe they wanted to act as a higher being?