[ 16. ghost butts ]

y/n's pov

"Hmm, wow." Reggie sat beside Julie's dad leant over his shoulder to see the pictures on his laptop screen. "Ooh, I like this one. It's got a good composition, buddy."

My arms were crossed on the table and my chin rested on them as I looked up at Reggie, smiling. He was so beautiful and he was finally my boyfriend. After liking him for 27 whole years, he was my boyfriend.

Alex poofed into the seat next to Reggie. "What are you doing?"

"Eh, I needed a pick-me-up, and hanging with Ray always does the trick." He smiled at the man, who had zero clue any of us were even there.

"Does it?" Alex looked at Reggie skeptically. "Okay."

"Dad, I have a ghost update." Carlos came walking in with a box in his hands. The same box I got the Sunset Curve demo CD from last night and the same box I put it back in a few hours later.

"Okay, this might be interesting." Alex said, turning his body to face the boy.

"Really? Come on, Carlos, we've talked about this." Ray sighed.

"I know you're not a believer, but listen to this."

"Do I have a choice?"

"No."

"You go, little man." Reggie pointed at Carlos.

"After Julie played with her hologram band last night, I couldn't sleep." Carlos told his dad.

"Those songs do get stuck in your head, huh." Ray said with a grin.

"He likes our new music too." Reggie leaned close to Alex.

"Still doesn't count."

"I learned on YouTube that ghosts haunt because something's bothering them." Carlos explained. "So to get rid of them, you gotta find out what crawled up their ghost butts!"

Reggie giggled. "He said ghost butts."

"Language." Ray pointed to his son.

"Sorry." Carlos and Reggie apologized in unison and I sighed. Alex started at Reggie with the most disappointed look on his face.

"So, I searched the house for clues on who used to live here. And I found a bunch of old stuff in the garage." Carlos went on and opened the box. "What I learned is we're being haunted by a ghost... who had a dream."

"Okay?" Ray shook his head.

"A dream that never came true."

Reggie looked over at me with wide eyes and Alex stared at the table in deep thought.

"A dream that was cut short... by a tragic accident."

"Okay, you... you don't actually think--" Alex said to Reggie and I.

"Our house... is being haunted... by a very talented... chef."

The three of us sighed in relief.

"Looks like somebody fell asleep watching Ghost Hunters and Chopped." Ray chuckled.

"You know how there are two restaurants in LA that claim they've invented the French dip?" Carlos asked, ignoring his father's comment. "Guess what I found in this shoebox? A recipe... for a third French dip!"

Carlos lifted up a small piece of paper out of the box.

"No way!" Reggie said excitedly.

"No way!" Ray's excitement was clearly sarcastic.

"It was invented in 1905... by a guy who... dreamed off a soggy sandwich." Carlos said in a dramatic sad tone. "But died before he could share his gift."

"Ah... the gift of dipping." Reggie and Ray said at the same time and I raised an eyebrow.

"It's like we're the same person." Reggie said with a grin.

"Just like!" Alex said in a mocking voice before dropping his fake smile.

"So we gotta make his sandwich, and we gotta eat it." Carlos decided.

"Oh, then, he'll see his dream realized and finally leave this world for good."

"So are you in?"

"Yeah, let's make a dream come true."

"All right." Carlos grabbed the recipe and headed to the kitchen.

"I do love French dips." Ray said to himself as he closed his laptop.

"I'm gonna miss them." Reggie said.

"Me too." Alex agreed.

"Me three." I said before the three of us poofed out of the room. 

---

Reggie's head rested against my leg while he sat on the floor beside Luke. He strummed his bass while Alex tried balancing his drumstick on his nose. Luke was making random clicking noises with his tongue and I was playing with Reggie's hair with one hand while staring at the ceiling.

We were bored. We were sad. We weren't going to play the Orpheum. We weren't going to cross over. We were just going to have to die for a second time and this time have no way of coming back.

"Snap out of it!" Julie was suddenly standing in front of us and Alex fell off the couch, sending his drumstick flying at Reggie's face.

"Dude." He groaned, rubbing his cheek and watching as the stick rolled away.

"Jeez, I think you broke Alex." I said, taking my own eyes off of the drumstick.

"Do you guys want to cross over or what?" Julie asked.

Alex pulled himself up and onto the couch, and we all stared at the girl in front of us.

"Get it together!" Julie clapped her hands.

"They're never gonna let us play the Orpheum." Luke complained.

"We're nobody." Alex sighed.

"Less than nobody. We have no bodies." Reggie corrected and I pointed down at him.

"Someone once told me that you don't ask for permission. You book gigs by doing." Julie stared at Luke as she spoke.

"That was me." Reggie said proudly.

"No, it wasn't." Julie said.

"No, it wasn't." Luke repeated.

"Yes, it was." Reggie said quietly, looking away.

I pat my boyfriend's shoulder, which was just beside my leg as Julie went back to the topic at hand.

"This isn't over. We were brought together for a reason: to help each other."

"Yeah, but like Luke said, people don't just play the Orpheum because they want to." Alex shrugged.

"People don't, but ghosts do."