[ 18. nothing to lose ]

y/n's pov

We appeared backstage at The Hollywood Ghost Club in outfits that weren't ours. Alex was in a pastel pink suit, Luke in a navy blue and Reggie in red. I looked down and shivered at the sight. I was wearing a dark green dress that went down to my knees, my guitar strap hanging around my chest.

"Uh..." Alex looked down at himself.

"Well, don't you look nice?" Caleb said to us as he came down some stairs.

I tugged on the sleeves of the dress, the material was soft but it still felt like it was itching everywhere.

"Sweet threads." Reggie said.

"How... How'd you know our sizes?" Alex asked.

"That's your question?" Luke said as he pulled on the neck of his shirt.

Caleb sighed. "I know you kids aren't my biggest fans. And an eternity at my club might seem overwhelming. But... I just put you in sweet threads, so humor me this one last pitch. Now, for starters, isn't it nice that you're all here together?"

I looked to my left at the boys before back at Caleb.

"And believe me, everything you want," Caleb pointed at Alex. "including Willie, is here. And on my stage, you don't vanish when the music stops. You soak in the applause for as long as you want. The connection you will feel with that audience will be like no other. I promise."

The crowd out by the stage all started cheering.

"Oh! Shh. Do you hear that? They're waiting for you."

A jolt and we all groaned.

Caleb forced a wince. "That one looked like it hurt. Now, let me remind you, you don't know if playing the Orpheum is your unfinished business. Do you really have time to make that mistake? I suggest you accept my offer, because the clock is ticking."

Another jolt.

"Ouch! You know where to find me." Caleb walked out onto the stage. "Ladies and gentlemen, I'm back! Hello, hello, hello!"

"You know you wanna take a chance and be a little bit bad. Ain't nothing quite like living on the edge."

Caleb looked back at us as he sang.

"So get ready to go. I'm chasing down a thrill and looking fit to kill. So listen to the words a wise man said."

We moved closer to the stage as we watched the performance.

"He said, 'Covington, I got an offer that you can't refuse' Ha!"

He ran back to the centre of the stage.

"You got nothing to lose. Lose. Lose. Lose."

I don't know what it was, but as the song went on we were bouncing on our feet.

"You got nothing to lose. Lose. Lose. Lose. You got nothing to lose."

Alex started spinning one of his drumsticks around in his hand before he poofed onto stage playing the drums.

"Alex! Show me what you've got."

Caleb started scatting and Reggie poofed onto stage next.

"Reggie! Swing it, baby."

Next thing I knew, I was on the stage next to him.

"Y/N. Ooh."

It was confusing to be up on that stage and playing.

"Now, Luke, yeah."

I looked to my left to see Luke pulling back as his legs tried to take him to the stage. But no luck, he was soon right in front of Reggie and I.

"You and me!"

Caleb kept on scatting as Luke played. The saddest thing was, I didn't even hate playing there, but I knew we shouldn't be.

"How do you like my new band?"

Reggie and I exchanged a look as we rocked back and forth while we played.

"You got nothing to lose."

It wasn't even bad. But I didn't want to leave Julie.

"Whoo! So, come over here, baby. I got what you need. Let yourself go crazy. All bets on me."

A thousand thoughts were in my head at once. Outside, I didn't even seem worried, but on the inside I was seriously freaking out.

"It's electrifying. From your hat to your shoes. I feel it in the air. We got nothing to lose. La, la, la, la, la, la."

"Yeah!"

We stopped playing and stood on stage as the tables of people all cheered for us. And they could still see us.

We turned back and faced Alex, who had a matching look on his face to us. It wasn't a happy look either. It was worry.

We needed to be at the Orpheum. We needed to play the Orpheum.