Chapter Five

Lune

I cowered in a bush as I watched the girl walk off with her friend, the metallic taste of her blood still lingering in my mouth.

"Oh, I'm an idiot!" I muttered to myself. "Why did I do that? Did I think I was going to prove a point by biting her?" I groaned, flopping onto the forest floor.

I wasn't sure what came over me. Just the scent of her hand... It was so alluring and enticing. Every sense, every fiber of my body told me to draw blood, and I obeyed. Regretfully. Now, what was I going to do? I had attacked and tainted the forests. The whole village would be scouring the woods, looking to bring me to justice. I shivered. They'd put my head on a spike. I wasn't safe here anymore.

I stood to leave, but then I felt a tingling sensation like the subtle ripples in a lake or the ringing of a bell surge all throughout my body. It grew faster, brisker, more forceful. A small thought of panic crossed my mind, but as quickly as it came, it vanished and my balance with it. I tumbled back to the ground. With a tsk and a shake of my head, I moved to stand again, but I froze.

Where my paws should have been was a pair of hands. Still reeling from shock, I gently flexed my fingers in and out. In and out. I sucked in a breath and sat back on my butt, bringing my feet forward. My eyes widened in delight. Toes. I had toes. I laughed as I wiggled my feet into the dirt, burying them beneath the cool soil. Then I gasped and brought my hands to my face. A nose. A mouth. Ears. Hair. I combed my hand through my hair. It was brittle, dry, and as tangled as a bird's nest, but it was hair. My hair.

I was human again.

I sat there for who knows how long, basking in the rays of the sun, inhaling the smells of the forest, just being human. But then I remembered.

"I have to tell everyone else," I said aloud.

I shot up and took a step forward, but promptly fell back down again. I blew a stray strand of hair out of my face and stood up again with the assistance of a nearby tree.

"Okay. One step at a time."

I lumbered forward, putting one foot in front of the other. Left foot. Right foot. Left foot. Right foot. Left— The tingling returned and a moment later, I was on the forest floor again, returned to the form of a wolf. Shaking my fur out, I got back to my paws and frowned.

It seemed the transformation was temporary. A hindrance, maybe, but I had made a breakthrough, taken a step towards liberation. Any problems could be overcome and would be overcome.

I ran back to camp, eager to spread the good news. I slowed, approaching the entrance when a brawny, grey wolf emerged out from the shadows. His muscles rippled as he stepped in my path, blocking me off.

"Lune, welcome home."

"Jaxton," I greeted, though it was anything but warm. Jaxton, Beta, second born of the Alpha. He upheld an unfavorable reputation for being cutthroat and ruthless, though he wasn't cruel. At least, I haven't seen him behave as such. Nevertheless, I made sure to stay on the tips of my toes around him.

Jaxton tilted his head, observing me with an uncanny, yellow stare. "Tell me, Lune, what were you doing so far out from camp?"

I opened my mouth, but then closed it again, hesitating. Was it safe to tell Jaxton my discovery? "I've found something," I said slowly. "But I wish to tell the Alpha about it first."

"Alpha Aslak is currently out on a hunt at the moment," Jaxton said. "Whatever it is, I can deliver the message for you once he returns."

I squirmed under his gaze, feeling words spill out of my mouth like a running spout. "Well, I found this girl in the forest," I started, "and when I bit her, I became human. I had hands, feet, toes, everything. But after a while, I think whatever magic she had wore out because I'm a wolf again."