Chapter Eight

Cassandra

"You've really got to stop running through the forests like some sort of feral child raised by wolves." Claire picked out the little twigs and leaves poking through my nest of hair. "It gives off this air of vulgarness."

"What can I say," I said, shifting so that I was sitting on my heels, "when the woods call, I answer."

"And when Peter smiles, you swoon." She brought the back of her hand to her forehead and leaned back on my bed, mimicking my supposed, unrealistic, and definitely over exaggerated reaction.

I pivoted and swatted her leg. "Not true."

"Oh, yes, Peter." Claire slowly drew her hand over her thigh in a lascivious manner. "Touch me there."

Snagging my pillow, I chucked it at her head, stifling her next words. "You are despicable." I sat up a little straighter. "And for the record, I have never thought of Peter in that way."

Claire rolled over onto her stomach, cupping her chin in her hands and resting her elbows on the bed. She raised her eyebrows suggestively. "But you have thought about kissing him."

My face flushed, and I grabbed another pillow and slammed it into her face.

"I knew it," she said with a muffled voice.

Claire pulled the pillow off of her face and sat up again. "It's fine," she said. "I won't judge." Picking up a brush, she grabbed my shoulders and turned me so my back was to her. "But you've gotta tell me all the juicy details."

I groaned. "Gods, Claire."

"That's what best friends are for," she giggled. "Now,"—she abruptly stood—"it's time to get down to the business of attire." Claire stalked over to my closet, pulling open the doors. She whirled around and stared at me, jaw dropped. "All you've got is rags in here."

"It's not rags." I rubbed the back of my neck and glanced down at the floor. "It's comfortable."

"Well, comfortable won't do on a dinner date." Claire skipped over to her bag resting in the corner. "Fortunately, I have just the right medley of fabrics and colors for you." She whisked a long, flowing dress out of the bag. A soft shade of blue and woven from silk, the dress complimented my fair skin and auburn hair. I took it from her and held it against my body. The dress looked like the still reflection of the moon on a lake and, by the Gods, it felt like it too.

"It's beautiful," I said. "How did you manage to afford this?"

"Well, we didn't afford it," Claire replied. "It was a courting gift from a young man who thought he could win my hand in marriage materialistically. I accepted everything from him except his proposal."

I looked up at her. "Claire," I said sternly.

"What?" she protested. "They were gifts, and it wasn't like he wanted them back. Of course, I was going to keep them."

I slipped the dress onto my slender frame and twirling in the moonlight seeping in through the windows, I felt like a princess.

"I also brought you a matching necklace and pair of shoes." Claire held them up against the window, but I wasn't looking at them.

Just past the articles, I saw a white shape barreling down the glade towards my home. I nudged Claire aside, squinting my eyes.

"What is it?" she asked. Claire moved to stand beside me, shoulder to shoulder. Suddenly, Lune popped up in the window, and Claire screamed, falling backwards.