ii. Witches

YOUNG BLOOD
ii. witches

FRESHMAN ORIENTATION had proven to be the easiest part of her move to New Orleans

FRESHMAN ORIENTATION had proven to be the easiest part of her move to New Orleans. Despite her fatigue from her late night, Erin arrived at Tulane along with a mass of newly accepted students to participate in the activities that welcomed them to the university. Collective lectures on what to expect during their first semesters, as well as the dreaded ice-breakers to ease the nervous tension. Not that they ever did.

     When she arrived back at her apartment after the long day of socialization, Erin received a call from Rebekah. There were developments in the search for Elijah, and she needed to come over to the mansion to hear their next steps.

     So come morning, Erin made her way out of the city to the lone home. Klaus and Rebekah weren't anywhere to be found on the lower floor, prompting her to search the upper levels. She climbed the stairs to where a hallway jutted off in both directions with multiple doors along the walls. Erin chose the left, inching her way down the corridor until she came upon an open door.

     The room beyond the threshold held a study. A central desk sat inside with bookcases covered in dusty volumes and odd knick-knacks on the shelves. Erin's gaze swept over the space, finding Haykey sat on the floor beside an open trunk. A leather bound book open across her bare knees.

     "What're you doing?" Erin questioned as she entered the room.

     Hayley lifted her head, not the least bit startled. Werewolf hearing must've had its perks. "I found this when I was looking around. It's one of Elijah's journals," she relayed.

     Erin's eyes widened slightly. "And you're reading it?" she exclaimed and started in her direction.

     Hayley shrugged. "Yeah. There wasn't anything else to do, and I wanted to know more about..." she cut off when Erin snatched the book from her hands. "Hey!"

     "It's an invasion of privacy," Erin stated, snapping the journal closed. She moved for the trunk, dropping it inside with the various objects collected within the space. A glossy wooden violin, a framed photo of Elijah from what looked nearly a century old, and other things she didn't care to peruse. Erin just grabbed the lid and pulled it shut, clicking the latches into place.

     Hayley sighed. "I know. I just - I wanted to know more about this family I've been forced into."

     Erin turned her way and gave her a sympathetic look. "You could've asked, you know? I'm not an expert or anything, but I've been around them for two years, so I like to think I know them pretty well," she replied.