Chapter 15

"Your earliest flight to Myrtle Beach, please," Maverick says, tapping on the counter impatiently as the clerk starts rapping on his keyboard. He looks over to the row of payphones near the back wall, noticing that Goose is already on a call, somehow having bypassed the entire lineup.

"Return?" the attendant inquires.

Maverick looks back at him. "I hope so," he responds vaguely.

The man behind the counter gives him a flat look.

"Let's go with yes."

"Four hundred and ninety-two dollars, sir."

Maverick raises his eyebrows. "Let's go with no."

The clerk gives him an annoyed look and starts clicking his keyboard once more.

"Two hundred and ten."

Maverick takes out his wallet when he hears Goose calling his name.

"Mav!" Goose yells loudly, earning him several cross looks from nearby patrons and airport personnel. Goose doesn't seem to notice. "Mav, wait!"

Maverick looks back at the attendant who seems to be getting increasingly agitated. "Just a moment," Maverick says with a sheepish grin.

"I've got a queue, sir," the clerk says.

Maverick looks over his shoulder at the one person waiting behind him. "Right," Maverick responds. "Sorry about that."

"Mav!" Goose arrives at his side completely out of breath.

Maverick stares at Goose. "What's going on? Did you get a hold of Carole?"

Goose nods vehemently.

"Does she know where Amelia is?"

Goose continues nodding without respite.

Maverick watches him expectantly. "Well, is she alright?"

Goose closes his eyes, his nods getting shorter and quicker.

"Goose!" Maverick says loudly and Goose finally stops bobbing his head. "Talk to me."

"She's not in Myrtle Beach," he says, still trying to catch his breath.

"Not yet? Or" –

"Not ever," Goose confirms. "She's not going to Myrtle Beach."

"Where is she going?" Maverick asks anxiously.

"Sir, the queue," the clerk urges.

Maverick throws him a sharp glance and the man behind the counter bristles.

"Carole doesn't know," Goose responds.

"What do you mean, she doesn't know?"

Goose pulls on Maverick's arm to move him away from the counter.

"Will you be needing the ticket, sir?" the clerk calls after them.

"Mister, you're very pushy," Goose calls back to him.

The man glares at them sourly before turning his attention to the next customer.

"Goose," Maverick says. "Tell me you have more information."

Goose sighs. "Amelia went over there this morning. She had a few hours before her flight, and she didn't want to leave without saying goodbye. She told Carole she was leaving the country."

"What? Why?"

Goose holds up a hand. "That's not all. Apparently, she's quitting her program at Berkeley."