5. The Cat

"Are you up there, Jessie? "Mother's voice came from downstairs.

"Yes, Mom."

Jessie opened the upmost drawer of the table, the same from which she had taken the paper knife. On the back was another envelope, just as grandfather had written. It had the same text written on it as the letter he had just read. Her name in fine calligraphy and then the words written with a pencil under it. The handwriting with the pencil was stronger, not so shaky - as if grandfather had written the private letter at a different time, being much weaker.

Jessie opened this new letter with the paper knife and read it through.

"Jessie - In this letter I wish to apologize for my bad behavior during the years towards your family. I was a selfish, bitter old man, too proud to admit my mistake. I wish that this house and the monthly allowance I have set aside for you until you reach maturity will help you through the difficult times after my son's death. I hope you will forgive my behavior and stay in this house as long as you wish. I have also bought a small apartment for you in the city, my attorney has the key if you wish to use it. I bought the apartment years ago, and my other children have no idea it exists. I have given the strictest instructions to my attorney not to tell about your inheritance to my other children. I'm afraid I have not been speaking nicely of any of you during my lifetime, but maybe one day they will see past my opinions and try to reach out to you.

And Marjorie – I apologise to you too. You made my son happy. All those years that you stayed together is proof enough for me he made the right choice. I did not see it earlier, as to me happiness equalled money. I understand now money does not love me back.

If there is a chance for me to look after you from the other side, I will do so. I wish you a happy life, and the wisdom not to make harsh judgments on other people as I have done."

And then there was grandfather's signature in the same bold handwriting.

Jessie heard steps from the stairs and quickly folded grandfather's first letter to her, opened the lowest drawer and dropped it there just in time before mother appeared on the doorway.

"Oh my, he had a study here? " Mother was surprised.

"So it seems. Here, this is the letter."

Jessie handed her the second letter which mother read through, wiping her tears. That was typical of her, always emotional and always believing in the goodness of people to a fault. Which she now proved with her next words.

"I knew he wasn't bad at heart. And even if he is now dead, I am happy that he reached out to us with this letter. "

She looked up towards the ceiling and placed her hand to her heart.

"If you hear us, we forgive you. "

Jessie didn't say anything, just turned away. She wasn't ready to form an opinion about grandfather's goodness, not just yet. The fact was that he had been a very mean old man, even if he did send all those postcards through the years. But the letter written to Jessie were something else. She simply had to sit down somewhere and really think about it.

"I made us some sandwiches, " mother said. "Come and eat something. I think it's best we clean up a bit before I make us lunch. "

She turned and went away, still wiping her eyes. Jessie turned to look around the room, to see if the key to the cupboard would be anywhere visible. Well, of course it wasn't. Grandfather had asked her to search for the key but left no clue how to do that.

Jessie turned and walked out of the room. She would have time. It wasn't likely that they could afford to move away from here soon, Jessie figured. The monthly allowance wasn't that big. It would be enough for the both of them, if they lived here in this villa, without needing to pay any rent, but not big enough for them to buy or rent another place to live.