8.

Jessie stared at her. She wasn't bothered about the stare, just looked calmly back with those golden brown eyes, shadowed by thick lashes.

The cats approached in a leisurely manner, passed the stone pillars and sat around in the little yard. Some started washing their paws and grooming their whiskers. Some simply sat and stared at Jessie in the calm manner of cats. One of them yawned, revealing sharp white teeth against a pink background and then began to wash its face with its front paw.

They were quite beautiful. Many of them were light grey in colour with darker spots that would camouflage them well in the shade of plants.

"Who I am is not important. "

The girl surprised Jessie by suddenly answering her question.

"So, you are not going to tell me your name? "

She smiled.

"I might, at some point. But for now, the only important thing is that you get the key. "

"Is that the key that grandfather asked me to find" Jessie asked, observing the girl keenly, to see if she understood and thus knew about the whole business.
The girl did not seem to be surprised at the question.

"I suppose it is. He loved riddles and hidden mysteries. Which was good for us most of the time. But we just do not have the time for his riddles and for you to search for it, no matter what your grandfather planned, so we decided to give the key to you."

She pulled the leather strap holding the key from around her neck. It looked similar to the key Jessie had seen hanging around the neck of the cat. Jessie looked into her golden brown eyes, and did not want to do the math. She extended his hand and the girl placed the key into it.

"Time for you to go. You should not stay here for too long. Not yet."

She turned her back to Jessie and walked inside the little stone structure at the other end of the courtyard. As she passed, all the cats got up and followed her. Instead of going inside with her, they sat down again in front of the door, blocking the entrance. They all stared at Jessie with those unnerving, human eyes.

(This chapter will continue)