What of this new world?

Ace Carlyle

I don't know why I always end in places like this. The atmosphere has never been something enjoyable to me, but it does distract me from what's going on in my life. I've pushed everyone away, even my mother and brother — they want me to talk about my feelings, and that's the last thing I want; it brings back all the pain I've been working hard to ignore.

It's funny how the last time I was at a strip club was the day I met Lotus. Speaking of Lotus, we haven't talked or seen each other in two months, which is when she came to Paris to try to help me. I really do appreciate her willingness to help me, but I don't feel like I can be helped. Losing Christabelle and Visenya just ended my love for life. Now it's just a waiting game to be a pile of ashes.

"Can I please have a glass of whiskey?" I asked the bartender. The person behind the bar placed a glass in front of me and poured the right amount "Merci."

(Thank you.)

He nodded with a smile "You're welcome."

I turned on the stool to look at the woman on stage; she's wearing a leather harness that doesn't cover really anything — it just adorns her body. I don't feel anything for the image, really. The only reason for me to be in such an atmosphere is because there's so much going on around me, I get no room to actually dive into my thoughts.

After sitting there for a couple of minutes, watching the performance on the dance pole, I decided to go sit at one of the booths.

Christabelle wouldn't be proud of my behavior, and not because I'm at a strip club but because I'm not having fun at a strip club. Before the accident, she told me that we needed to go to one together and have fun — it made me feel so good that she trusted me so much she wanted to take me to a strip club herself. She was fun all around.

None of the girls around are paying attention to me, because there were plenty people interested in them already and that's perfect — I'm just here to drink.

"Hey," someone said and my eyes shot up to find a tall brunette, wearing a fuchsia cropped cutout cardigan, a black mini skirt and really high-heel leather boots.

"I'm not looking for any company," I shook my head.

She smiled "I didn't come here for that."

"Oh, I'm sorry," my face turned hot "I just assumed you worked here—"

"I do work here," she told in her posh British accent. "I've memorized every single face that comes through those doors, and you're simply not one of our regulars," she leaned down to bend over the table, accentuating the curvatures of her body. "What brings you here if you're not interested in company?"

"Just an innocent distraction from my life," I shrugged.

The woman chuckled "This place is far from innocent, Sir."

"Just Ace – I don't like the sir thing," I cleared my throat. "What's your name?"

"Then you may call me Lula, Ace," she went from bending over the table to sitting on it with her long legs on my direction.

"Is that your actual name?" I took a sip of my drink.

Lula grinned "Absolutely not. Have you ever been to a strip club where they use real names? That's a bad business plan."