Chapter 7

American Mocha
Chapter 7

Kari got up from her spot on the couch and placed the novel down. The covers outward, saving the words that would later float through her mind. That would find itself in the words she would type later that evening. Kari went to her computer and sat down.

She clicked the enter tile and it came to life. Kari leant her elbows on the table and kept her eyes on the page. The letters of her life staring right at her.

Kari was trying to keep her gaze from the message icon, no matter how much her eyes told her to dart there she resisted. She wanted to see his message, but she held back. Kari sighed and ran her hands over her face in frustration.

"What am I doing?" She asked herself in indecision. She brought her eyes back to the screen. She would make an entry.

-I tasted the bitterness of coffee, but I was still dragged through the daze I desired to escape. Now the taste is biting at my tongue, a new fog risen between the rain and the scorching sun.

She sent the enty and leant back, her eyes going to the window. Kari felt the weight of life, she felt it sitting, jumping even, on her shoulders. Whispering discouraging words now and then, but she didn't feel the waves of it crashing over her head. She just felt it there.

-If I walk through it, I don't know what lies for me on the other side. What pleasures, what miseries. But to step on the path, to feel the sun, or even have that chance to begin with, is something I would regret not doing.

-Even if the sun is light on my skin, I'll welcome it gladly. Even if the sun is harsh I won't turn away. I'll still be able to feel it.

Kari kept her gaze out the window.
~
Peniel brought his eyes to the notebook. His thoughts swirling in mind as he read the words. Her entries were waves. They had their highs and lows. Peniel turned to the screen of his laptop.

He gripped the covers and leant forward. She was blogging. Peniel read each entry and was amazed by her words. In the notebook, it was her past. Her through the years growing up, learning ways to express herself. Learning herself.

In the blog, she was certain of her words. Certain of the impact her words would have. Maybe she didn't know how large her words seemed although they came off just as tiny letters, maybe she didn't know. Maybe she was just sent to send these mystic words and disturb hearts, shake them, pound against their walls. But probably to her she was just feeling.

Maybe to her she was being tossed in the waves, walking through the fog and finally feeling the sun skim her face. Maybe.
~
Kari kept her eyes on the screen as he messaged her back. Her fingers were tapping against the table. She had taken the initiation to tell the person, who made her think of dancing elephants, goodnight.

She hasn't responded to any of his messages that day. She instead stared over the messages. She had scrolled back and reread every goodnight, good morning message he sent every day for weeks.

Kari felt something swell in her chest. She had yet decided if it was curiosity, she had yet decided if it was somewhere on the lines of lust, love. All those L words that came to her, she could barely keep up.

Kari had felt bad. Staring at the messages, welling up in his little letters. She felt the urge to respond. She wanted to. She reread his message again.

DrawnElephant
I'm glad it stopped raining, you finally came out.

Kari was glad it stopped too.
~
Blurbsandtime
The sun was just so tempting. Goodnight.

Peniel sighed and leant back into the chair. "You're just so tempting too. " Peniel said sighing as he let his fingers skim across the letters of his keyboard.

"Peniel, come on, Hyung, we got to go." Sungjae said, popping his head briefly into the room. Peniel glanced over and met his eyes. He nodded and waved his friend off.

"I'll be there in a moment. " Peniel said. They were heading out to catch the plane for Hong Kong. Sungjae nodded and sighed. Peniel brought his eyes to the screen.

DrawnElephant
Sweet dreams, sunshine.