dos

(Scene inspiration - Vat Savitri gajra scene)

~~~

The winds blew across the playground, the leaves rustling under the weight of the wind, children running around in glee as they chased each other and fought for the slides and swings, some finding solace on the dewy grass and litter of puppies by the trees.

"Shiva, please utaar mujhe!"

"Arre Mami ki behen ki beti, itna kya darr rahi hai, ek haath chod aur dusra rod pakad na!"

"Nahi mai gir jaaungi, Shiva! Mujhe chot lag jaayegi!"

7 year-old Raavi hung on the monkey bars, frantically calling out for Shiva, while he tried to motivate her to finish the monkey bars. She had only moved one step ahead, and refused to grab the next rod, in fear of falling down.

"Chipkali, rod se chipak jaa aur fatafat aage jaa!" Shiva stood underneath where she hung from, his hands held out above him to catch her if she falls.

"Utaar na mujhe, bhoothnath!" Raavi whined, losing the grip on one of her hands.

"Dekh, darpok mat bann aur- oof!"

Shiva toppled to the ground, with Raavi on top of him, groaning from the sudden contact with the very stony, pebbled floor of the playground.

"Uth mere upar se. Moti." He grumbled, nudging her arms.

"Hatt rahi hoon na. Pareshaan mat kar." Raavi wriggled her nose, as Shiva scoffed, muttering 'pareshaan toh tune kar rakha hai, heroine waale nakhre hai iske bas.'

"Maine kaha tha mujhe pakad. Gadheda." Raavi muttered, getting off him and dusting her elbows and knees.

"Maine bhi kaha tha, aage badh. Sunti hai tu kabhi? Thoda toh bahadur bann. Gadhedi." Shiva pushed her, stretching his back and she stomped off to play at the merry-go-round.

Raavi patiently waited in line, while the first 5 kids took their turns on the merry-go-round, the seats being different animals.

Just as her turn came and she was about to climb on, a hard shove threw her off balance, sending her tumbling to the ground.

"Chal, baju hatt. Mujhe baithna hai." The school bully, Raj, announced as he sat on one of the seats, his 4 friends following him.

"Aye!" Raavi yelled, dusting her t shirt and pant, "Ye galat hai! Mai line mein khadi thi!"

"Aur maine line tod di. Kya kar legi?" He said haughtily, shoving her again.

"Aur ek baar dhakka lagaya toh-" She showed her fists like Shiva always did, remembering his words from a few minutes back, to be brave.

"Toh kya? Apne mummy se jaake complain kar degi? Arre, mai toh bhul gaya, " Raj laughed, jumping off the merry-go-round, "tere mummy papa toh hai hi nahi, kise jaake karegi complain!"

Raavi's heart dropped to the ground, as she watched Raj high-five his friends and climb back on the merry-go-round. Suddenly, she didn't want to be brave anymore, it didn't feel like it was worth it. They were only fighting about the seat, he shouldn't have gone so far.

Emptiness settling in her chest, tears pooling in her eyes, she took a few steps back, crashing into someone she knew all too well.

"Aye chipkali, kabse aawaz laga raha hoon!" Shiva said, stumbling and balancing himself before he lost footing, "Aankhein hai ki button, dekh ke-"

He stopped midway, watching Raavi run away from his sight before he could process what was happening.

"-nahi chal sakti. Arre, isko kya hua?" He wondered out loud, confused at her behaviour; this was the first time she had done this, and he couldn't understand why.