Chapter 4: Polaroid

There was more or less a half an hour left to spend as Claudette and Lily walked through the courtyard.

"Hey Claud," Lily suddenly said as an idea popped up into her brilliant mind, "did you bring your camera?"

Claudette nodded, fishing her camera out of her bag, "I think I know what you're thinking."

Lily smiles, "Then what am I thinking?"

"Impromptu photo shoot." Her friend answers.

"Now turn a bit to your left and make it look like your gazing at somewhere far away." Claudette coached as she knelt down on one knee to get a better angle for Lily.

"Like this?" The redhead asked, following her friend's directions.

"Perfect." Claudette grinned, as she looked through the viewfinder and clicked the shutter button.

Afterwards, she plucked the Polaroid from the slot and handed it to Lily while waiting for it to develop.

Turning to her right, she could see from afar that Remus was sitting under the shade of one of the trees, enjoying a good book to pass the time.

Lifting the camera once again, the click of the shutter filled the air as she sneakily took a picture of him.

Lily sniggered, her photo now fully developed, "Stalker."

Claudette rolled her eyes, fully aware of the blush rising up to her cheeks, "Shut up."

Before Lily could tease her even further, the bell rang, signaling the start of their next class.

Talk about being saved by the bell.

Claudette and Marlene sit next to each other in Transfiguration while Lily and Alice are right behind the two of them.

Professor McGonagall is yet to arrive so the four girls hold their own conversation until they accidentally eavesdrop on the one the Marauders were having.

"I forgot," James said, "How's your furry little problem going Moony?"

Remus just shrugged, "Just fine."

"Furry little problem?" Marlene asked the three other girls, "What are they talking about?"

The three of them shrugged. "Maybe he has a badly behaved rabbit?" Alice suggested.

"I don't think so." Claudette's brows furrowed, "If he does have one, why doesn't he tell me about it or I haven't seen it?"

Lily shrugged, "Maybe he keeps the rabbit at home? Since I don't know if Hogwarts allows any other pets aside from the cat, owl and toad."

"Good point." Claudette said as Professor McGonagall walked in and promptly started the lesson.

"What an unusual sight this is." Claudette teased as she walked into the common room.

"What is?" Remus asked, looking up from his book.

"Why, your troublesome children are nowhere to be seen." She answered, sitting down next to him.

Remus chuckled, "Well, they're currently in detention. Scrubbing the trophy case for Filch since they got caught in a prank."

"And you didn't?" She smiled.

"I'm sitting right in front of you, aren't I?" Remus laughed, "Seriously do you really think I would let myself by caught?"

"How about you?" He then asked, "Where are the ones you're mothering?"

Rolling her eyes at his term, she said, "Lily and Alice has some homework to get done at the library and Marlene is currently on a date."

He raised a brow, "With who? The Hufflepuff?"

Claudette nodded, "I actually think he's a walking red flag. But Marlene insists that he's alright."

"Sirius will be fuming. He's already jealous that Marlene has heart eyes for that Hufflepuff." Remus said.

"Well, that's what he gets for not asking Marlene out sooner, right?" Claudette said.

The werewolf let out a nervous chuckle, "Right."

Claudette started ruffling through her bag, "What're you reading anyway?"

"A Hundred Years in Solitude. You?"

"Little Women by Louisa May Alcott."

"Finished with Persuasion already?" Remus said, not at all surprised.

"You know I'm a fast reader." She smiled.

The Gryffindor common room was more or less bare except for the two of them, the cackling of the fire place and the occasional chatter from outside adding to the ambience as the two read in peace.

Remus snapped the book shut as he finished it and declared, "I'm hungry."

"Me too." Claudette agreed, closing her book to see she had already read half of the book.

Remus looked around the common room that was still practically empty, "Aren't they back yet? I'm too lazy to go down to the kitchen to get some food."

"Don't look at me." Claudette deadpanned when Remus glanced in her direction, "I'm not in mood to leave this comfy couch."

The boy leaned his head back dramatically, "Guess we'll just have to sit here and starve then."

"Unless someone takes one for the team." She suggested.

Remus shook his head with a fond smile, "No way. I'm not leaving this couch."

"Me neither." She insisted.

A few moments of silence passed between the two before Claudette suddenly spoke up.

"Come to think of it, I think I have a bar of chocolate in my bag."

Remus' eyes lighted up at the mention of the sweet, "You know you're a goddess aren't you? I could literally kiss you right now."

For the second time that day, the girl could feel her cheeks heat up at the words but simply ignored it as she started to pick through the contents of her bag.

In her haste, she didn't notice something fall out onto the space between her and Remus.

Curiosity got the best of him as he picked it up, only to realize that it was a Polaroid picture of him.

"Found it!" She announced with triumph, holding the chocolate bar as if it was the solution to all their problems until she noticed the photo in Remus' hands.

"Did you take this?" He asked with a small smile, his cheeks being painted with light shade of pink.

Claudette licked her lips, "Yeah. I actually took it this morning."

"It's beautiful." He said.

"Thanks." She smiled.

The two of them continued to stare at each other, Remus began to slowly leaned forward as Claudette closed her eyes.

But before anything else could happen, the portrait door of the common room bursts open as Lily and Alice strolls in.

Remus and Claudette fall back into their original positions, the tension slightly hanging in the air as the two girls approached them.

So much for peace and quiet.