Twelve

「 ☁️ 」

Two young boys, together at their favorite playground. They sat calmly on the swings, a soft breeze quietly hitting their faces. As they slightly shifted in place, they caused the swings to produce a displeasing squeaking sound. The seat only looked as if it was securely fastened to the fragile rope, just like their lives were at that moment. Slowly and irregularly, they swayed back and forth, letting their short legs linger in the air.

It was cold, though their hearts were colder.

Children at that age had the least amount of concerns. They existed supposedly with unconditional bliss and laughter. They didn't have people to look after, not even themselves. The elders surrounding them should carry the responsibility of taking good care of the youngers, who were incapable of functioning on their own.

"Do you promise, Wonnie?" A small, youthful voice asked happily. He stuck out his little pinky finger towards his companion.

"I promise, Sun," he replied while giggling, with not a single care.

A blast of the freezing wind caused the pair to shiver, yet it didn't prevent them from sealing their promise with their small pinkies and picking up the pace on the swings, their laughter ringing through the chilly atmosphere.

It was pleasant not to have anything to ponder about when you're still that young and careless. All the duo could see was a world full of rainbows and unicorns. They could do everything they had ever fantasized about without the requirement to confront the consequences. They didn't have those responsibilities, nor did they need to fix the problems they created. They lived as free as they could be.

At least, that was how it should have been.

No one would comprehend what thoughts were stirring in their tiny minds. In a civilization like theirs, there wouldn't be someone to actively attend to their struggles, if they even believed they had any. They believed their issues were always within their heads, something they've made up to gain attention.

Their legs rose higher in the sky, just like their ambitious dreams. The swings were going faster, the strands barely holding together onto the plastic piece they were seated on.

What if their dreams were merely a desire for a fortunate reality? Something they'd want different, which others couldn't seem to consider?

Those around them assumed the two young boys were doing perfectly fine. That is until you hear what they've got to tell, the words they've been keeping to themselves.

What is their perspective of this story?

The rope was strong, but it snapped eventually. Just like the two boys, it couldn't control the weight. No matter how powerful it appeared, something small could effortlessly snap the last straw in half.

They fell harder than they both could've anticipated. Wounds were raw, and scars remained unhealed.

Would their lives forever be like this?

"Wonnie..?" That same childlike voice spoke, only now it seemed so isolated and distant.