Fourteen

「 ☁️ 」

"Wonnie!"

"Sun!"

Their giggles sounded through the atmosphere, getting lost in the cloudy sky. Running towards each other, they crashed into a giant hug. The children's embrace was warm, packed with the exquisite colors of their true friendship.

Externally, they seemed happy, but the twinging of their little hearts told them otherwise.

"You won't believe what happened today!" Sunoo joyfully cheered. His eyes smiled along with his mouth, and stars hoped up in his irises, unable to be counted. Jungwon jumped up and down vigorously, not competent of containing his excitement.

"What is it?!" He inquired with much curiosity.

"I saw someone so pretty today," Sunoo flashed the brightest smile he could pull. The other's eyes grew wider.

"Oooh... what did she look like?" The question was innocent coming from a nine-year-old boy, but Sunoo couldn't resist the urge to laugh. He covered his mouth with his tiny hand, the sound of his giggles muffled.

"It wasn't a girl. It was a boy. A very pretty boy!" Almost like a cat, Jungwon slightly tilted his head sideways in puzzlement. Additionally, he lifted a single eyebrow.

"A boy?! I thought it was a girl. Why would you call a boy pretty?"

"Silly! It's okay to love boys too. We can love whoever we want!" At that, Jungwon's smile returned.

He believed Sunoo.

Together, they were near the same playground they were usually found. The two companions liked to pass their time in the still fresh greenery whenever they weren't busy. Nothing could ever disturb the way they appreciated each other's presence.

Nothing...

Sitting side by side in the brilliant green grass, the two stared at what was in front of them. They viewed the now damaged swings they had always enjoyed in the past. The plastic seat was broken and messy, coated in soil. It was like their future, a fantasy they had yet to believe in, already split in half. A nonexistent wish, which ultimately was left to be acknowledged, appeared to have been smashed, left behind in shambles.

Who knew the spot where their abstractions of reality had forever collided into extra-ordinary hopes and dreams could disappear the very subsequent day? For them, an encouraging recollection had turned into a sorrowful anguish. It hurt them to even think about it. It was a misery they couldn't forget, no matter how hard they tried.

"I wish you were there with me, Won. You should've seen him," Sunoo pouted, placing his hands comfortably beneath his thighs.

"No, Sunoo. We can love boys, but we can't love the same person."

"Ah, you're right," the older agreed while he nodded his head.