Nineteen: The Nut Room

The Wonkas brought them to a room named Nut Sorting Room

The Wonkas brought them to a room named Nut Sorting Room. "Ah, this is a room I know all about." Rupert Salt remarked. "For you see, Mr Wonka, I myself am in the nut sorting business." He gave Willy one of his business cards, but without sparing even a glance at it, Willy threw it over his shoulder. Lola held back a snicker. "Are you using the Havermax Four Thousand to do your sorting?" Rupert asked, oblivious to the fact that Willy tossed away his business card.

"No." Willy said to Rupert Salt. He laughed. "You’re really weird."

"This is one of my favorite rooms." Lola opened up the room, allowing everyone inside. The room was bright white, and beyond the railing everyone was standing behind, was a white floor with blue swirls on it with a hole on the middle of it. Large glass containers containing nuts were suspended in the air. Tubes were attached to the containers which dropped the nuts into stations. But the most amusing part about the room was the fact that there were about a hundred squirrels, each sat on their own stool. It would seem that the squirrels sorted the nuts.

"Squirrels!" Veruca chirped happily and wide eyed.

"Yeah. Squirrels." Lola nodded. "These squirrels are specially trained to get the nuts out of the shells."

Rupert Salt, however, seemed to have a different opinion on the matter. "You use squirrels? Why not use Oompa-Loompas?"

"Because, only squirrels can get the whole walnut out almost every time." Willy explained. "You see how they tap each one with their knuckles to make sure it’s not bad?"

One of the squirrels tapped the nut on the edge of the feeder, and held it up to its ear. "Oh, look!" Lola pointed to that squirrel. "Uh oh, bad nut." She whispered. The squirrel threw the nut behind itself. It tumbled down the swirly floor until it disappeared into the hole.

Veruca looked up at her father. "Daddy, I want a squirrel!" She demanded. "Get me one of those squirrels. I want one."

Lola itched the side of her head. "This is not going to end well." She mumbled to herself.

"Veruca, dear, you have many marvellous pets." Rupert said, he definitely did not what to deal with this right now.

"All I’ve got at home is one pony and two dogs and four cats and six rabbits and two parakeets and three canaries and a green parrot and a turtle and a silly old hamster!" Veruca listed off. Wow, even with as many pets as she has, she's still not satisfied. Lola wondered what it took with this girl and how her parents ever put up with her. "I want a squirrel!" Veruca stomped her foot.

"All right, pet." Mr Salt gave in to his daughter's demands. "Daddy will get you a squirrel just as soon as he possibly can." Lola groaned and rolled her head back. Willy was watching the two Salts with a blank expression.
"But I don’t want any old squirrel." Lola pinched the bridge of her nose. She didn’t like where Veruca was going with this. "I want a trained squirrel."