PROLOGUE

"Wild spirits are often born in a cage,
which disappears if and when
they learn to handle their wild energies."
-Shunya

The life of a rat wasn't as bad as some think it to be. In the wild, they can live up to two years. Given their short life span, this makes the rat life cycle very interesting. Only living two years may sound like a ghastly reality to those who are accustomed to the luxury of sixty or more- they have true privilege. But really, privilege is a thorn disguised as a rose. For a rat knows to appreciate every crumb, every wildflower, every moment of inexplicable delight they come across in their fleeting time. Humans squander their generous years, with the foolish assumption that the end will never approach. And why shouldn't they be blissful in their ignorance? God has given them their prerogative.

Rats do not have the same blessing- though they do not mourn over the loss of something they've never known. Most of their days are spent wandering around, cleaning themselves, eating, defecating, sleeping, and unbeknownst to them, filling the vacant spot at the bottom of the food chain.

It isn't so bad being at the bottom.

There was a particular rat, who graced the cobblestone streets of Tivoli, Roma. The rat, of course, didn't know this. Its entire world was made up of muddy oceans (that were truly puddles), the droppings of stale ciabatta, and the deafening whispers of Roma when it came to life. Heavy footsteps, booming laughter, the shrieking of young humans in the warm air.

Though currently, it had lost its way and it found itself wedged between a massive olive plant and a large brown object- of which was a shoe. However, the rat, of course, didn't know this. Its entire world was a medley of blacks and grays and whites. Imagine a colorless world. Many compare a blind man to a blind rat- but they hold a stark difference. Blind men live in a colorless world, knowing there is color. Blind rats live in a colorless world of which they've always known. After all, they do not mourn over the loss of something they've never had.

The rat could only smell the heavily pungent scent of shoe leather, freshly watered soil, and freshly bloomed flowers in the distance. The rat's curiosity got the best of it and it scurried towards the scent, eager to explore and discover something new in its colorless world.

As the rat ran through the alleyway, it couldn't help but wonder what had made that sudden noise. Was it a cat, a human, or just a fellow rat? It was impossible to know for sure, but the rat's instincts told it to stay hidden and avoid any potential danger. After a few moments, the rat slowed down and came to a stop. It looked around, trying to get its bearings and figure out where it was. The alleyway was dark and narrow, with tall brick walls on either side. It was a dead end.

The rat let out a small chitter, feeling a little trapped. But then it remembered something that its mother had taught it when it was just a baby rat. "When you're feeling trapped, look for the light," she had said. "There's always a way out, if you just keep searching." The rat looked up and saw a small sliver of light at the top of the wall. It was a tiny window, barely big enough for the rat to fit through. But it was a way out.

The rat scampered up the wall, using its sharp claws to grip onto the rough bricks. It was a difficult climb, but the rat was determined. It reached the window and peered inside. It was a small room, with a bed, a dresser, and a few other pieces of furniture. There was a human sleeping in the bed, snoring softly. The rat hesitated for a moment, unsure of what to do. Should it try to sneak past the human and escape through the open window? Or should it stay hidden and wait for the human to wake up and leave?

Suddenly, the human stirred and let out a loud snort. The rat froze, its heart racing. It was too late to hide now. The human sat up in bed and rubbed its eyes, looking around groggily. The rat stayed still, hoping to blend in with the shadows. But then the human spotted it. "Hey, what are you doing here?" the human said, sounding surprised.

The rat didn't know how to respond. It just stood there, frozen in fear. But then the human did something unexpected. It smiled and held out its hand. "Come here, little guy," the human said. "I won't hurt you." The rat was hesitant, but something about the human's tone of voice put it at ease. It cautiously approached the human, sniffing its hand. The human gently stroked the rat's fur, making a soft cooing sound.

The rat couldn't believe it. It had always thought of humans as cruel and dangerous creatures, but this one seemed kind and gentle. It stayed with the human for a few minutes, enjoying the warmth of the bed and the gentle touch of the human's hand. But then it remembered that it needed to escape. It darted out of the room and back into the alleyway, feeling grateful for the human's kindness but also relieved to be free again.

As the rat ran through the alleyway, it thought about how strange and unpredictable life could be. One moment, it was trapped and afraid, and the next, it was being petted by a human. It was a reminder that anything was possible, even for a lowly rat at the bottom of the food chain. The rat felt a surge of hope and determination, knowing that it could overcome any obstacle and find its way in the world. Until it scampered over a mousetrap and felt the cold, metal jaws wrap around its small body.

The rat's life ended as quickly as it had begun. It had experienced kindness and danger, freedom and captivity, hope and despair, all in the span of a few short hours. But in the end, it was just another casualty of the human world, a small creature that had been deemed a nuisance and disposed of without a second thought. Its body would soon be forgotten, lost in the endless cycle of life and death that played out every day in the alleyways and streets of Rome.