Chapter 1

24th Berkley Avenue
Thompson towers
Monday
9:00

Cake POV

The plan is pretty clear, I wake up like I have been doing for the past few days, get ready and get out of the staff's quarters like normal. I log in and confirm with Leo and Fighter if they are in position. And then around 13:00 I somehow have to manage to serve the VIP customers for which the rooftop is reserved for today. Along with that, I should also plant a microchip made by Fighter and Neab that tracks location as well as transmits audio.

The question is, how? It's only been a week since I started working here, and I have proven myself best through my invisible skills. Most people don't even know I work here but my ID works all fine and helps me move around. Fighter is such a genius I swear. And about those microchips. I really hope Neab does his job. One error in this plan and I am dead, so easy for big mouth Leo, he gets to chill in the CCTV room while Fighter and I have to risk our lives. Me by appearing before them and Fighter by hacking into the server room to keep me safe from any kinda detection.

I soon have to figure out how I am going to manage to get on the rooftop, the security is freaking crazy and I am not even on the list of servers and waiters assigned for today's high-profile rooftop lunch.

"Are you sure?" I heard one of the staff members speaking on the phone, I peeked and I recognized her as one among the people who is on the list of staff for today's rooftop lunch "I... I mean I can't leave work" she sobbed heavily " The only way is, if someone helps me to cover my shift, I can't believe I won't be there during mom's last moments" she cried more, her voice was stuck in her throat.

I walked up to her confidently even though I have never met her before and patted her shoulder "it's okay Jenny," I said sympathetically. "I understand our job is this way, but I would suggest you really go"

"How can I?" She just started, she saw my uniform and figured I was one of the staff, but she didn't see my face nor ask my name but just poured out her feelings about how much she has struggled to keep her mom alive all these years and now she can't even say goodbye. I just patted her shoulders and then she looked at me with bloodshot eyes and a wet face. "Can you please help me?"

"I... I have my own work to do? I cannot cover your shift" I said defensively, even though that is the exact reason why I approached her in the first place. I wasn't going to show her I was desperate, one of the tricks I learnt on the streets, play hard to get that way people will believe you are not a con.

"Please, please help me. I swear I will owe you my life. Just once please, I will be back tomorrow, just for the day, I will pay you if you want" she reached for her pocket, I stopped her and smiled.

"You don't have to do that" I might be tricking her, but unlike every other time, I'm not doing this for money. If I wasn't part of the NMC I would have drained her wallet. But I'm not that anymore. "It's okay, I will cover your shift, but it's only this time, you don't have to give me money" I looked down "I know the pain of not being next to family when they are on their deathbed," I said even though I know nothing about family.

"Thank you, thank you so much" she smiled, she wiped her tears and she hugged me and turned on her heels and ran. I smiled sadly, that smile is not gonna last for too long as she is gonna be in grief.

"Well, well, well, look who has gone soft" the annoying voices came from behind me. I hate it when he is around but I can't help it because he is assigned to protect me. It was Leo.

I rolled my eyes and groaned, "I'm not soft" I said, I reached inside my pocket and unwrapped the chewing gum, and popped it in my mouth. I chewed and blew a bubble while I looked right into his eye. I'm not sure what he thinks but I am doing this to give him the message that I do not respect him a bit.

He chuckles softly, that irritating feeling in the stomach region started. I hate him for so many things but this is one, he makes me feel stuff, the stuff I don't wanna feel. The tingling sensation in my stomach calms down. "Sweet girl, I am here to protect you, you don't have to act so indifferently. I'm like the only person who will save your ass if you mess up on the rooftop, and I should say, good job on somehow figuring out a way to get in"

I was so freaking angry, who does he think he is? "Do. Not. Call. Me. Sweet. Girl" I made fists and wanted to punch him in his face. Before my brain could go back and think about the most traumatizing time of my life I gathered my thoughts.

" Guys... " I heard the voice in my head, knowing Leo could hear it too. It was the voice of Fighter who was currently in the IT department. I'm sure he is watching us standing in the middle of the corridor through his laptop, where we would probably be seen as red, green, and yellow figures. Because the day we entered this place we planted Thermal cameras everywhere. "Stop it both of you, it's frustrating already to only see your figures, and not listen or see you properly, and also I cannot risk deleting footage and getting caught even before the mission has started, I want both of you away from each other and in your positions, Leo? What are you even doing there, get to the surveillance room immediately"

"Since when have you become the boss?" Leo spoke, once he tapped behind his ears. It was a device, a microchip similar to the ones we will be planting on the guests. Leo, Fighter, and I had each. It was stuck behind our ears and only a tap away we could listen to each other. Neab is quite a genius to come up with stuff like this, it almost looked invisible.

"Since the time you left your position and started bothering Cake," Fighter said.

Leo turned around and left but the two continued bickerings. "It's my job to protect her, she was talking to someone"

"She is doing her Mission, she is smarter than you to figure out how to get out if she is in danger"

"I'm way smarter than you think you geeky asshole"

"Who are you calling an asshole, you are the cocky bastard"

It continued, my head was filled with curse words from both of them, I double-tapped and turned it off, shutting off their voices.

Geez, In the case of Fighter and Leo, I can never understand them, they have a weird relationship. I for sure Hate Leo with all my guts and adore Fighter with all my heart because he is my hero. It's clear that Leo and Fighter hate each other, but I have a feeling that they know something that the others don't. They fight all they want but are always there to protect each other. I know this because of how Leo saved Fighter by standing guard outside and distracting others every time Fighter breaks into the server room and how Fighter deletes all the footage of Leo to help him stay out of trouble. Probably they are doing that because this is a team and we are on a mission, but I feel like they are doing it out of some kind of protectiveness.

In the case of Sho, who is not here now and will not be anywhere near anytime soon. I am grateful for him, he gave me a roof, clothes, food, job, not to forget the security. I was by myself when I was on the streets, I was responsible for anything that happened to me. But it's not the same anymore, we are like family. A weird lot, but home.

[A/N] Another 10 parts of continuation of the same story, sorry for the delay to all those who have read the 1st two parts and was waiting for the 3rd. I will update everyday for the next 10 days, and please do comment your thoughts. It keeps me going trust me.