4. Madeline

'Yes. Of course.'

I nod as Mr. Rossingol looks at me.

'Are you sure it's not an inconvenience?' he asks.

'No, of course not.'

'Fantastic.'

Ten to four. He said he had time already and was wondering if I had as well. I'm not done yet, but I wouldn't be in ten minutes either.

I follow my new boss across the office into the hallway. Instead of going to the elevator, he opens a door on the left. A relatively small room presents itself. Just a desk, a bookcase, and two extra chairs shoved against the wall right next to the door.

'You can grab a chair,' Mr. Rossingol says.

I take one and place it on my side of the desk. The bald man quickly moves some loose papers into a drawer and looks at me with a smile.

'So,' he says.

'So,' I say. 'Thank you for having me.'

'Of course. How would you say your first day went?'

'I'm still getting used to... well, everything.'

He chuckles.

'That's normal,' he says.

'I'm glad. Besides that, I think it has gone pretty well. I've introduced myself to a handful of colleagues, I can find the bathroom, I know where to store my lunch.'

'Sounds like you know where to find everything important.'

I smile at him as I feel my cheeks warm a little.

'What do you think of your desk mate?'

The dude who got into my car without a second thought? And stayed seated until we could go into the building? He offered me painkillers, though, thinking I needed them.

'Tobias seems nice. I haven't gotten the opportunity to talk with him a lot. We're at work after all. But he seems nice.'

'I'm glad. Have you met any other colleagues yet?'

'I've had the chance to talk with Ramona during our break.'

'Really? How was that?'

'She's... direct.'

A smile creeps onto his face.

'Go on,' he says.

'But she also seems nice.'