Chapter Thirteen

My father had dark hair, which appeared to be black, but was simply a brown. His reading glasses sat on the tip of his nose and overtime made a slight groove there. His eyes were caramel colored- my mother had the emeralds –and his shirts were always pressed like paper in a book. He truly resembled a hardback in many ways.

         When I finished reading my first novel he gave me ten dollars, which made me the wealthiest girl in the third grade. I continued reading after that, but it was my father who plowed through words, whereas I enjoyed taking my time. He was a history addict. My father loved the past. If he could see anything in the world, he always mentioned the American Revolution. I don’t know why this is, for he has a gentle mind, but it twisted my imagination when I was younger.

         There were times when we dressed up- him as Cornwallis and myself as General Washington –and fought with used wrapping paper tubes. We would go into the backyard and swordfight and I would always be the winner.

         Around the time of my parent’s disappearance, my father bought a very small R.V that fit two to three people. He was extremely excited to purchase it. He mentioned that his own father always wanted to drive around the country before he died.

         I was eating the pancakes gradually. Aunt Jane was on the couch repeating what my father had said earlier on the phone.

         “Emilia?” she asked, waving a lazy hand in front of my face. I blinked a few times to pull my thoughts out of the memories.

She rolled her eyes. “Are you paying attention?”

I put more pancake in my mouth and nodded. We were assembled at the kitchen table and she was sipping green tea.

She continued. “He said that he misses you dearly and plan on coming home with your mother in a few months.”

“Did he even give an excuse of why he and my mother missed out on three years of my life?”

Aunt Jane took a long sip of her tea- almost to give her time to think of her answer. She always had a problem with her memory When she responded, her eyes moved around quickly. “No.”

“Where did that young boy go?” she quickly changed the subject and gave me a hint of a smile.

“He’s driving to Kent with Dean for the day,” I responded, adding my own smile.

After I fished with my pancakes, I stood up and fixed my twisted leggings. While I was putting the dish in the sink, my door opened.

“Hey bitches!”

My aunt shook her head and looked down.

“She thought Jed was here. That’s what she calls him,” I smirked through a whisper to Jane.

She giggled quietly and leaned in closer.

“Your father said he misses you and is coming home soon,” Jane affirmed and hobbled out the back door with my cup in hand.

“What’s up?” Pierce asked loudly.

“He’s coming back.”

My eyes were wide, frozen, and terrified.

Somehow, after five minutes, I managed to calm myself down and push the thought away. Pierce ran her hand through her hair then pulled her long, black sleeves over her knuckles.

She lazed down on my hardwood floor, “So what shall we do then?”

         I had no clue what would entertain us. I thought back to the time where we were each single and spent hours with each other preforming the task of absolutely nothing. I really did miss those days, but it was nice having Dean and Jed around.