Roar of Time

Silence fell over their surroundings like a blanket as they entered the church, the sounds of the bustling city fading away. Pews lined the church, people scattered upon them. Riley spared none of them a glance as he made his way to the very front, Petal following with Riolu in her arms.

"Who am I supposed to be praying to?" she whispered.

In response, he gestured to the far wall, where a legendary Pokémon graced the stained glass. "Arceus."

"I didn't know you were a religious man," said Petal, wondering whether she should be praying to a god who probably didn't care about anyone.

He smiled in response. "Not really, but you can't deny someone created the world."

She nodded. The pastor walked in from the door near the altar, and was about to head down the aisle. His feet stopped the moment he saw Riley.

"To what do I owe this pleasure, Riley?"

Riley stood up. "We wished to speak to you."

He nodded, and then led them through the door he'd just come from. A plain white room with a couch and a table greeted them. Riley pulled Petal over to the couch, and the pastor sat opposite them, folding his hands earnestly in his lap. He gazed at Petal, the harsh light illuminating her features. His eyes widened in fear? No, Petal realized. It was recognition.

"You!"

Riley turned to look at her, his eyebrows scrunched together.

"I'm sorry, have we met before?" asked Petal, her heart beating faster than usual.

The pastor collected himself, but Petal saw his hands tightening as they clenched each other. "No, not at all. I just thought you looked a lot like the woman who released Giratina from his chains—Petal."

"I'm sorry, she did what?" asked Petal, her eyes wide. Riley was listening keenly now, his eyes flashing from Petal's face to the pastor's.

"Giratina. The Pokémon of the Distortion World. He-who-must-not-be-named. He was banished away by Dialga and Palkia, due to having wreaked havoc many, many years ago."

"And then Petal wandered into the Sendoff Spring and accidentally released Giratina, didn't she?" asked Petal, recalling the last place she remembered. "What happened to her?"

"She was trapped in time by an enraged Dialga."

"Then when Palkia and Dialga fought a while ago, it must have ripped through the space she was trapped in," supplied Lucario, who had slipped out unnoticed from his Pokéball.

Riley nodded. "That clears that up."

Petal wondered if she was imagining the floor shaking, but then decided she wasn't when the lights came crashing down. She held a hand over her head, braced for an impact that never came. Blue light flashed overhead, as Lucario and Riley created a shield, protecting everyone in the room.

"Petal, you alright?"

The pastor, having heard her name, looked horrified.

"Yeah," said Petal, waving away her concerns. "What caused that quake?" Petal wondered if everyone in Sinnoh had felt that. It certainly didn't feel like a Geodude using Magnitude.

Riley stood up and headed towards the door, Lucario on his tail. "Pastor, thank you."

Petal bowed to the pastor as she and Riolu followed them out.

A look outside and Petal gasped. Buildings had fallen over, glimpses through windows showed fallen cabinets. "Oh dear," said Petal, looking around. Dark clouds had gathered over Mt. Coronet, and she had a feeling Cyrus had something to do with it. Garchomp landed in front of them, setting up a spray of dust.

Cynthia, her hair wind-blown, looked exhausted. "Hi, we need some help."

"No kidding. Was it Cyrus?" asked Petal, holding onto Riley's sleeve as another earthquake shook the city.

"Aftershocks," said Lucario, his dreadlocks sticking up.

A strange high-pitched call echoed in the city, and everyone looked around, wondering where it'd come from.

Riolu yowled and turned around, as Mesprit appeared behind him, Azelf and Uxie descending from the sky at the same moment. They circled around the little group, before floating to Mt. Coronet.

"Were they asking for help?"

"So it would seem," said Cynthia. "Grab a flight and let's go."

                               *

"Are you sure you're not scared of heights?" asked Riley, standing firmly on Metagross as Petal kneeled on one leg on the same.

"Yeah," said Petal, trying her best to look ahead instead of down. It didn't make much of a difference. "I think I just like my feet on the floor better."

Metagross dropped them off at the peak of Mt. Coronet, before vanishing in a flash of red.

"Let's go," said Riley, putting the Pokéball back in his coat. Cynthia, who had landed moments before them, whistled at the sight that greeted them. It sounded more like angry whistling then amused whistling. Chains were wrapped around Dialga and Palkia, and Cyrus stood, smiling maniacally before them both. The pressure in the place was so high, Petal felt like she would be crushed by it if she took a step further.

The sound of a dragon-like call interrupted the scenario, a shadow of a ghost appearing and vanishing. When it passed before Palkia, the chain cracked.

"Enough!" called Cyrus, throwing out a Pokéball. Crobat appeared and Giratina cried out.

"Poisoned," said Cynthia, biting her lip. "Petal!"

Riolu's Aura Sphere went way past the mark, and Cyrus had to duck instead. "Can you at least aim properly? How incompetent are you?"

"Hey, show some respect. I'm way older than you!" yelled Petal back, as Riolu called out in agreement.

Cyrus looked at her incredulously, as Crobat tumbled from the sky due to Lucario and Riley. Giratina, who had been thrown a Pecha Berry from Cynthia, let out what sounded suspiciously like a laugh. The chains on Palkia broke as Giratina's tail touched it, and Palkia let out a blood-curdling roar.

With a sweep of his tail, Dialga's chains broke and before Petal knew what was happening, Cyrus was flying back into the rocks. Another roar reached her ears, and for a second, Petal thought she could see the world's creation. Someone called her name, but the world had gone black.

************************************