Sir Aaron

When Petal awoke, she was staring straight into Riley's eyes. Relief flooded her heart, and she didn't realize Riley was looking at her with curiosity and concern rather than sharing in her relief. As she took in his clothes and staff, her blood froze. It wasn't Riley at all, it was the ghost she'd seen in the graveyard—Sir Aaron.

She scrambled backwards. "Am I dead too?"

Riolu cuddled up next to her, and Petal took a moment to appreciate the warmth. If she'd died, at least she hadn't died alone.

Sir Aaron let out a laugh. "Sorry, miss, but I'm afraid I'm alive." And indeed, he looked alive. His eyes had stars in them, his smile carrying the sun's warmth. He took a step back and raised his hands as if showing he had nothing to hide. "I saw you lying on the floor and wondered if you needed help. That's some odd clothes you've got on."

"Is what I could say to you," she muttered under her breath as she pulled herself up into a sitting position.

"You could be my wife's twin."

"Your wife?" asked Petal, tilting her head.

He nodded, and his smile shifted into something brighter, making him seem a few years younger. "You look just like her." He looked around, and Petal followed his gaze. She'd landed in the middle of nowhere, deserted houses lining the street. "Say, you don't seem to be from around these parts. Do you have a place to go?"

She shook her head, and he held out a hand, helping her up. "My home isn't too far from here. Come along, and we'll put you up for the night." Petal nodded, bewildered. "What's your name, dear?"

"Petal. And may I ask yours?"

"Aaron. Knight Aaron."

He led her down the street, a hand braced firmly below her elbow, more of a precaution against her stumbling than any sort of chivalry. She trusted him, if only for the reason that he looked just like Riley. Riolu held onto her dress as they walked down the road.

"Oh my," said Petal audibly as a woman stepped out of a house. She assumed she was Sir Aaron's wife, because they both looked nearly identical. But the woman had the smile of an angel, and the countenance of a graceful noble. Something Petal couldn't imagine ever having.

"Lisette!" called Sir Aaron. He practically ran over to her, and she held out her arms, embracing him with a laugh.

She turned to Petal. "My, my. You could be my daughter."

Sir Aaron let her go, and she took Petal's face in her hands, inspecting her up and down.

"More like your twin," said Sir Aaron.

"If only I had one, and she was ten years younger than me," retorted Lisette. "Dear, where are you from?'

"I—Twinleaf Town," said Petal, unsure what to say.

The couple shared a look. "Haven't heard of such a place. It must be far off," said Lisette with her chin on her hand. Riolu nodded in agreement.

A Lucario walked out of the house. "Sir Aaron, you've returned."

His eyes landed on Petal and then Riolu. "And you've brought guests." Lucario looked between Petal and Lisette, his expression changing faster than Petal could decipher. She decided not to give it a second thought for the sake of her sanity.

"Sir Aaron, you're needed at the country's borders," called another knight, running up to him.

"He just got home!" said Lisette, her cheeks puffed up.

"I'm sorry, Lady Lisette."

Sir Aaron just laughed, and rested his forehead against Lisette's. "I'm not sure what's happening, but I'll come back soon."