Chapter 5 - Aspen

By all the trees, that judging was very unfair. The judges weren't even paying attention. I simmered in my anger for a moment and sat down by a brook, trying not to shake the earth again. I grabbed some herbs and berries from a nearby bush and popped the berries in my mouth, chewing angrily. I took in a deep breath and choked. The air was stale, like it had been for years. Ever since I was born, the air had been stale and impossible to breathe. If you take a deep breath, you might expect your lungs to be burning or worse. Then, I winced as I moved my legs. They were sore from walking (or stomping) away from the village and deep into the forest. I've never actually been this far before. Pollen usually stops me after I go further than the pineberry bushes. Suddenly, I heard the clopping of hooves on rock, and then barely audible breathing. I then ran over to the sound and found a girl on a deer with black fur and golden hooves. The deer's antlers were golden as well. The rider was a girl with fiery auburn hair and startling pale blue eyes. I shivered; it looked like they were looking right through my soul. The redhead suddenly froze and she slipped off the deer, patting its neck. "Who are you stranger, and what do you want? Come out now or you'll regret it," The girl yelled. At first, I thought she was talking to me and I thought, I'm not hiding. I'm actually in plain sight. I was about to step out when I saw that the redhead was actually directly yelling at a...bush? Whaaattt? At first, no noise came out of the bush, and I rolled my eyes, wondering why that crazy maniac was talking to an inanimate object. After a second though, rustling could be heard from the bush and another girl emerged. Holy mother of trees! I yelped inside my head. Her eyes were red and puffy and her blonde hair was plastered to the sides of her face. She looked down, seemingly scared.

"HELLO? Can you talk to me?" The auburn haired girl asked, waving her hand in front of the other girl's face, unconsciously invading her personal space, "Who are you?"

The blonde hair girl just shook her head and stepped back, and started to duck back inside the bush.

"Don't think you can just walk away after spying on me! What do you want?" The auburn haired girl yelled at her, waving her hands around. I swear, I could even see steam coming out of her ears.

Tears started to flow out of the blonde haired girl's eyes and she whispered in a croaky and tiny voice, "Sorry."

"What was that?" The angry girl asked, stepping closer to the other girl.

The blonde girl turned around and fled, almost tripping over a log in the process. The angry girl sighed and rolled her eyes, returning to her deer, who had been watching in amused silence. I stepped out and walked toward the rude redhead.

"Excuse me? What was that about?" I asked, crossing my arms and trying not to tilt my head sideways.

The girl snorted, still up on her deer, "I don't have to explain myself to you. Who are you? Are you spying on me too?"

"I am not. I was actually in plain sight. If you weren't yelling so much, you would notice that. Don't be so sensitive, redhead." I snapped, and the girl looked livid.

Her eyes burned like blue flames and she growled, "I'm not sensitive, brunette. Why hair color? The name's Ash"

" Why hair color indeed. Your hair just really stands out just like your furious face, and seriously? Brunette? You can do so much better."

"Oh really, fine. Mud? Bark? Branch? Cocoa bean? You like those better?" She sniffed, looking down at me from her deer.

"Okay, my name has nothing to do with random brown things. My name is Aspen, and leaping lily pads, I thought I was terrible at brainstorming. Anyways, try not to be mean to anyone along your way, okay?" I was tempted to pat Ash on the head, but I refrained from doing so. Plus, she was on a deer, and was towering over me, so there was no point.

Ash raised an eyebrow, "You realize that girl was the one who was spying on me. Or are you too blind to notice things like that and can only see hair color?" She asked mockingly.

"First, I do realize that. Second, I'm not blind and I can see all colors. Unfortunately for me, I have to look at your face. The girl was probably curious and your fury was probably radiating off harshly, so she naturally hid in the bush. Good strategy to the blondie." I nodded in the direction the blond girl had run off, flipped my brown hair over my shoulder, and glared stubbornly.

"Wow, you really like hair colors..." Ash said sarcastically, "But seriously, she was following me for a while. Also, your explanation is making me sleepy. Go and bore someone else," Ash yawned and I rolled my eyes. This was getting awkward and stupid. Ash then clicked her tongue and the black deer raced away into the trees. I rolled my eyes and muttered, "Stubborn rider." I then looked down at the ground and noticed something odd. Where the girl had stepped, all that remained of the grass was ashes. Several blackened footprints stood out from the lush grass, making me think twice about who this girl was.Come to think of it, I did feel heat prickling down my spine. Was it because of... Ash? I shrugged, whatever. I wouldn't see her again. I slammed my palm into the earth, making vines and rocks stretch over me in a makeshift shelter. I grinned at my work and laid down, settling into the soft dirt. My eyes closed, and sleep came to me.