#24: WHAT'S UP

A/N: Well, this escalated quickly.

Speaking of Craig, on the way out of homeroom later that morning, he greeted Ashley, engaging in small talk as I withheld my grimace

Speaking of Craig, on the way out of homeroom later that morning, he greeted Ashley, engaging in small talk as I withheld my grimace. Ashley and Ellie walked with us for a while until we all went our separate ways.

Except for Craig and Ashley. I slowed involuntarily, and watched them for a few seconds.

Sometime after lunch, as I attempted to hide my bad mood from everyone around me, we had Drama.

"So... Othello and Iago," Ms. Kwan said, pacing casually at the front of the classroom. "What is at the core of the conflict between these characters? Jimmy?"

Jimmy lowered his hand. "Um...jealousy? Othello passes Iago over for a promotion at the very beginning."

"Any other examples of this? Ellie?"

"Iago uses jealousy against Othello, and he turns on Desdemona, which results in her death," Ellie said.

"A tragic end, indeed. I'd like to go a little deeper, though." She stopped walking and pointed to the writing on the chalkboard. "Today's assignment will be about duality; specifically the light and the shadow both in imagery and plot. We'll be breaking off into groups of four."

We all groaned.

"Each group will analyze a different aspect of duality in our play, which will be due at the end of class. We'll do short presentations tomorrow. This is about interpretation, honing our understanding of the text and opening ourselves to new and dynamic perspectives."

Paige raised her hand almost immediately.

"Yes, you'll be able to choose your group," Kwan said knowingly without waiting for the question. "Once you have your groups, see me for your worksheets. And go."

You can guess the groups, but I still had a moment of panic from all the times these things weren't so obvious.

Before I could get up, Craig plopped down in the seat next to mine. "So, did you catch any of that?"