His Voice

Ren was restless. He tossed and turned in the large bed, ears occasionally flattening against his head, and he kept finding himself staring at Doc's side of the bed, resting a hand over where his mate usually laid, but the space there, while warm and comfortable, was empty. Doc was staying up late again, would possibly be up all night, planning out his next project. That was normal, but Ren still found himself feeling especially lonely, unable to fall asleep despite how tired he was.

He finally pushed himself up, deciding to go find Doc. If he couldn't sleep, maybe he could at least see what the other was doing and watch him for a bit.

Doc was in his research lab, blueprints scattered about on various tables, and he had his hands spread out across one as he gazed at it intently. Ren walked up behind him, making just enough noise that the other would hear him coming, not wanting to startle him. Doc glanced over his shoulder and gave him a warm smile that made Ren's tail wag. Ren was mildly pleased to see that Doc had even taken off his lab coat, the garment tossed over a nearby chair, so Doc was standing there in only his jeans, barefoot and with his entire upper body on display. Ren tucked himself to Doc's muscular back, wrapping his arms around his waist and just snuggling him.

"Can't sleep?" Doc asked with a chuckle.

"No," Ren replied, not bothering to keep the whine out of his voice. "Been laying there for like, an hour, dude."

"It's one of those nights, huh?" Doc turned, his organic hand settling on Ren's head, petting him a few times before scratching behind one of his ears. Ren's tail wagged again. "Tell you what, how about I talk you to sleep like I sometimes do?"

"You're busy, I don't want to pull you away," Ren replied.

"Nonsense. My project will be here when I get back. Come along." Doc walked away and Ren followed him. They returned to the bedroom, climbing into bed together. As soon as Doc laid down, Ren was cuddling up against his side, resting an arm over his chest and nestling his face against Doc's neck. Doc had such a unique smell, a blend of his natural creeper scent, which was something like gunpowder mixed with leaves, along with the coppery, electrical smell of redstone. It never failed to settle Ren.

"Now then," Doc whispered against Ren's ear once they were both comfortable. "How am I gonna get my puppy to sleep?"

The calm, low cadence of Doc's voice was already enough to have Ren's eyes flickering shut. He leaned further into Doc, his partner resting an arm around him. Doc purred against his ear, the sound seeming to resonate all the way through him, relaxing his muscles, his exhaustion crashing over him like a wave.

"So sleepy. That's it, love, you can relax. Why don't I tell you a little bit about what I've been working on?"

Every soft breath, every rasp, was like the sweetest lullaby to Ren's ears. He gave the barest nod, his mind finally going quiet, and he could feel himself dozing off.

"Well, I got an idea for an improved tunnel bore design, and this is something I talked to Mumbo about too and he agreed that the theory was sound, so I did a little more research, some small-scale testing, and I found out..."

The exact words stopped registering to Ren as he drifted off, instead blending into a soothing drone, the auditory equivalent of a weighted blanket draped across his brain. He managed to nod a few times, wanting to show his appreciation for Doc's redstone, but it wasn't long before he didn't have the energy for even that anymore. It was only minutes before he was asleep, curled up happy and warm against his mate, who kissed his ear lovingly before letting himself drift off to sleep as well.