1: Grandchild

Lucas was esctatic.

This little baby in his arms is his first child, and with Athanasia, someone he loves.

But as he glanced at his wife he paused.

She was glaring.

...at who?

The bundle in his arms started to cry again.

"Athanasia, what's wrong?" He asked, noticing his wife's strange expression in a heartfelt moment like this.

"Take it out."

Lucas was taken aback.

"...what?"

"I said. Take it out."

Lucas frowned. "Why? She's our daughter!"

At another fierce glare Lucas frowned and left with the baby in his arms. He didn't want to argue with her for a reason he isn't aware of.

She's just like her father.

He put a protection spell on the infant. It will last a lifetime.

But Lucas' frown deepened as a thought, a question, occured to him.

Why is Athanasia being like that?

-

Claude watched as his granddaughter played with some toys.

Attheia is one smart girl. Athanasia was smart as well but she already knew how to levitate objects without her mana overflowing. Maybe it's because Lucas, a great warlock, is her father.

She'd just turned five yesterday yet once again, Athanasia refused to see her.

He wondered why, until he realized she still must have no trust in her blood. She loves him, Claude, her father, and Lucas, but remembering that Anastasius was Claude's brother and Athanasia's uncle who tried to kill both of them, Claude understood that she thinks the child would be the same as Anastasius.

Why would Athanasia have a child if she knows she won't be able to love it? He thought, resting his head on his fist with his elbow on the side of the sofa.

"Grandpa!" His granddaughter, Attheia, exclaimed as she ran up to him.

Claude hummed, acknowledging her call for him.

"Can Attheia meet mommy?"

Claude halted. Attheia looks a lot like Athanasia when she was young but with Lucas' hair and her wide, jewel puppy dog eyes said that she really is Athanasia's daughter.

"What made you want to?" He asked, calmly, watching as she climbed up his lap.

"Attheia is curious what mommy looks like." She said, cutely with the same tone of a younger Athanasia.

She'd only ever seen and cuddled with her father, but never her mother.

And when she did see the Empress, she wouldn't look at her, in spite of Lucas telling her to do so.

Lucas is now on a trip to calm some foreign issues ordered by the Empress so he's not here to bring his daughter to her.

Attheia has seen her mother, but not up close.

"...okay. We'll go now."

"Really!?" Attheia exclaimed again, as if she didn't think her grandpa would agree.

Claude nodded. "Yes."

With that Attheia went down from his lap and smiled widely in joy as Claude stood up.

He'll convince Athanasia that Attheia won't be the same as Anastasius soon. Soon, though, because currently she's either sleeping, busy with paperwork or simply refusing to see anyone during her walks. Claude is an exception as well as Lucas but Attheia, not so.

Claude will bring the baby though, either way.

With that he carried Attheia with one arm as they made their way out of her room in the Emerald Palace.

Attheia is not yet the Crown Princess. Claude understands that Athanasia just wants to make sure that Attheia grows into a capable young woman before making her the official heir to the Obelian throne. However, she won't be able to know if she doesn't cast even just a glance in her daughter's direction.

They leave the Palace and through the garden, Attheia awed when she saw the Garnet Palace in view.

Claude knew that at this time Athanasia would be somewhere in the garden, having tea or simply taking a walk.

As Claude walks to the garden, Attheia hugs his neck and he adjusts his grip on her as she laid her head on his shoulder, facing behind him.

"Father. What brings you..."

Athanasia paused. Her expression is the same, but Claude can feel that there is something else beneath her blank expression.

Claude has found Athanasia strolling through the garden and he could feel Attheia tensing at her mother's familiar voice.

"Hm." She hummed plainly, looking at her daugh... the creature as Attheia slowly turned around.

Her eyes widened when her eyes met with the similar jewels of her mother; the daughter of her grandpa.

"Attheia wanted to meet you." Claude said casually.

It felt like an hour for Attheia as her mother eyed her up and down.

She squinted her eyes at the child before shaking her head.

"Is that so. Why don't we have tea...alone? It would be rude to not welcome our guest."

Claude nodded after a moment. Surely his daughter wouldn't murder Attheia.

Claude glanced at his granddaughter and the child was already shaking.

Athanasia's face had really become scary for children.

"If you wish."

Claude crouched and let Attheia off his arms.

The little girl was scared but it was her request to meet her mother, so she just smiled through her fear, knowing her grandpa was behind her to protect her from anything.

"Hello, mommy!"

Athanasia tilted her head, looking down at the child without malice.

So this is her child with Lucas.

It looks a lot like herself.

What a confident little creature, to call her as such. Does it know who she is?

Interesting. She didn't think the dreadful creature could talk to her in such a way.

"Come." She said, turning around and walking away.

Claude watched as Attheia looked up at him in uncertainty before she audibly gulped and followed her mother.

Claude just watched his grandchild follow his daughter.

Claude wasn't that comfortable with leaving his granddaughter with Athanasia. After all, it was Athanasia that ordered to kill the child years before, like he wanted when Athanasia herself was a child.

Surely she's changed now. It's been five years.

Surely...

...

He hopes his daughter will not treat her child the same as he did to her before.