2: Knowing

As Attheia sat on the sofa, her mother watched her.

She had no personal knight so she was alone with her daughter.

Dreadful creature...

"Are you not going to eat?" She asked, tilting her head to the snacks on display on the table between them to make her point.

She had told the cook to make things creatures like her would like. They looked confused but Lillian, who Athanasia tasked to tell them, explained that it was the Princess their Empress was referring to.

With that they brought out cakes and pastries.

Athanasia had to admit she still has that sweet tooth. But in the recent years it had been fading.

"I thought a cretin like you would like these." Her eyes darkened. "Should I punish the cook? For an ingrate like you?"

Attheia gulped, before forcing herself to smile. Athanasia isn't, was never dumb. She knew what others were feeling just from a single glance.

At least this little bug knows her place.

"Attheia likes sweets! But Attheia just ate some from grandpa."

Athanasia's eyelids lowered at the answer. She hummed. "Is that so..."

It seems her father is spoiling it.

This little girl looks harmless. But Athanasia no longer underestimates anyone, not even tiny creatures like this one.

She watches this creature as she sits there, trying to look away from her eyes.

"Are you not going to tell me about yourself?"

It flinched.

"Um...my birthday was yesterday! Attheia is five now."

Athanasia had noticed that it had been speaking in third person. But Attheia. Had Lucas named it?

Athanasia did not respond. But her eyes became less wary.

Lucas must have named it.

"Five... Time truly flies."

She leaned back. "Five years ago you were nothing but a tiny bug that couldn't lift its head."

Attheia gulped again, visibly, and she was sure her mother saw. However, the latter did not say anything.

After a minute of silence, Athanasia was getting bored.

"...do you know who I am?"

Attheia froze, her eyes widening considerably despite her already large eyes.

It irks the Empress how similar she was to this creature.

But then again, before eighteen her father had treated her the same.

"...mother?"

Athanasia's gaze hardened.

At that reaction Attheia flinched.

"Your majesty?"

Athanasia's eyes didn't soften, but at least it knows who she is. At least it is aware of what kind of figure is in front of it.

With that Athanasia was done with the creature.

Calling Lillian, the woman carried Attheia out of there.

"Are you okay?" Lily asked the child. Attheia looked scared as she held onto the maid for dear life.

"Attheia is okay..."

Lily didn't believe that with how tight the child is clutching onto her shoulder.

Attheia knew Lily, because Lily was one of the first people her grandpa called for to help raise her.

Lucas, her father, didn't really think that Lily had been close to Athanasia but since Claude knew the warlock trusted the former Emperor would know who to trust.

Attheia also knew Felix. Felix is the Knight Claude made follow her every step of her way when she was smaller but right now, Felix is busy being a Duke.

Erasing all those things from her mind, she settled in Lily's arms for protection.

She had never thought her own mother would insult her so much.

-

"So?" Claude started, staring at Attheia who was under the covers.

"How was it?"

He could tell Attheia was frightened. Just from Athanasia's presence alone.

"...mommy is scary."

Claude sighed, gently caressing her head.

"It's alright. Don't cry."

The little girl didn't know how but her grandpa saw that she was crying. "Will mommy be like this to me forever?"

The loss of the third person did not go unnoticed by Claude.

"There is no such thing as forever, despite her name." He said, calmly. "She will warm up to you eventually. Right now, she is not in the right state of mind because of a traumatizing event in the past."

Attheia perked up. She turned her body around to face her grandpa. "What happened in the past?"

Claude stayed silent. "...that is something for Athanasia herself to tell you."

Attheia pouted and her tears subsided. "Aw. Okay then."

She fixed her position on the bed and covered her entire body except for her head with the blankets. Claude thought that it was cute.

"Goodnight, grandpa." She said, closing her eyes to sleep.

Claude smiled to no one as he patted her head.

"Goodnight to you as well, Attheia."

Claude knows Athanasia is just like him.

If she is still hateful towards her own daughter, there is a solution.

If Attheia spends enough time with her, her icy front will definitely melt, like his with her years ago before he was brought into this universe.

Hopefully, Athanasia's heart will defrost the more Attheia spends time with her.

There's no doubt that's going to be the case.

-

Athanasia sits on the sofa, contemplating.

The tea had grown cold when it left with Lillian in tow. It couldn't have tea, could it? Next time she will give it milk.

The little creature is... undeniably just like her.

Should she let it call her 'mother', or 'mommy'?

Once again, undeniably, the creature is... interesting.

She should spend some more time with it. It won't hurt to get to know it better.

After all, she still needs an heir.

That is the only reason she agreed to speak with it.