3: Acknowledgement

The next day Athanasia had asked for her.

Attheia was shaking and clung to Claude as Lily came to escort her.

Just from a single moment together made Attheia fear her mother. That says a lot, because Attheia rarely cries and shakes in fear.

Claude stayed in the Emerald Palace now, to spend plenty of time with Attheia, and he had to witness this.

Lily came and said that the Empress had asked for the child. She wanted to spend some time with Attheia on the boat.

Claude was slightly hesitant to give Attheia away.

The boat will be a terrifying place for Attheia to be on, considering she'd be with her mother who wanted to kill her when she was born, and who struck so much fear into her with only one encounter.

Claude shook those thoughts away and handed the child to Lily. Lillian, is trustworthy, to him. He knows that she's a diligent worker and caretaker. He'd experienced it, after all; when he woke up from the coma.

"Grandpa, please," Attheia begged, tears threatening to spill from her wide eyes.

Claude wiped them away. "It's okay. Your mother won't hurt you."

He wasn't so sure. But he knows Athanasia isn't that cruel...

Attheia held onto Lily tightly when she figured Claude wouldn't be able to help her.

The whole way there Lily had been comforting her, telling her it was alright. Attheia wasn't confident with that claim.

When she and Lily arrived at the destination, Athanasia was already there waiting for them.

She didn't say a word as she walked towards the boat.

When she noticed that Attheia hadn't been following her, she looked back, eyes without any sign of malice of hate. So far.

Attheia flinched but was quick to follow her when she looked back.

Athanasia had been the one to carry her to the boat, as Attheia couldn't reach it by herself. The whole time her mother's hands were on her sides, she was as stiff as a rock, trying not to make a move in fear of being on the receiving end of those eyes.

When they were both on it, it started to row on its own.

It was silent. Although it did nothing to console a trembling Attheia, seeing how far from shore they are now.

"Calm down." Athanasia said, coldly, noticing how Attheia's mana was going up with her blood pressure.

She didn't look at the black-haired child as she spoke.

"Tell me more about yourself."

Attheia sucked it up and steeled her trembling body as much as she could. Deep water scares her, and now something else that scares he is here.

"A-Attheia likes vegetables, mostly cabbage..."

The Empress did not respond, but Attheia had the urge to continue.

"Attheia also likes...candy," she gulped, "And chocolate..."

The atmosphere grew colder as they went farther from shore.

Athanasia had yet to move to look at her.

This little creature does not seem to know what I mean. As my heir it should already have...

"Your studies." She said, sternly. "What is your level."

But it is just a... Child. It should take time.