The Audition

It was finally Friday. I have been constantly stretching and trying to learn new tricks. I need to make this team. If I don't... I don't know what I'll do.

"Are you ready?" My mom asked me before we walked into the dance studio. "Yes." I answered.

"Hi! Where do I go to audition?" I ask. "Down the hall 1st door on your right!" The lady answers. I nodded and started walking.

"Well, goodluck. I know you'll make it." My mom says. "Thank you." I hugged her goodbye and walked into the studio.

Music was booming, everyone was stretching, so to blend in i started stretching my legs. "Hi!" a tan girl with black long hair says. "Hi..?" I answer. "I'm Emarie." "Oh, nice to meet you. I'm Imani." I say.

"That is such a pretty name!" "Thank you, yours too." I reply. "I've never seen you here before, you new?" she asks. "Yeah, I moved here a couple days back from New York." "New York? No way, you have no idea I have always wanted to go there!"

Is she Australian? She sounds Australian. "Are you Australian?" I ask. "Oh, yeah!" she says with a smile.
"Okay, everyone!" A tall lady with pale skin says.

"It's time to start, the first round we will freestyle. 4 people will freestyle at a time. Try to incorporate your best tricks.. this team is not easy to get on."

"Goodluck." Emarie whispers to me. "Goodluck." I whisper back. "Okay, first we have Jade Amersion, Paige Amersion.." Okay I have a bit to practice. My last name starts with L. I got time.

A few people go by and I know I'm coming up soon. "Ruby Kano, Imani Lee, Hanna Lewis, and Emarie Murphay." I had no idea Emarie and I were in the same group. Me and Emarie looked at eachother with hope and walked out along the 2 other girls.

First, Ruby went. She was good.. like really good. She could do turns, leaps, acro. Luckily for me I can do all of that too.

When it was my turn, I started with a calypso followed my a double pirouette. I did an aerial or 2 and a double back-handspring step out. I was pulling out my best tricks and was leaving it all on the floor.

As soon as I finished I grasped for air. I really meant it when I said I left it all on the floor. I looked over at Emarie and gave her a thumbs up. She did it back.

When it was time for Emarie to perform, I was full of hope. She did a bunch of acro, she was like a literal contortionist.

Auditions finished and Emarie and I watched as the coaches were discussing. "I'm sure we'll both make it. We did good." I said. "Yeah."

"Okay everyone. You all did amazing, but these 12 stuck out to me and Coach Reece." She put the list up and everyone rushed over.

We looked for our names and.. "Yes! We both made it!" I said. We cheered.. maybe a bit too much. "Settle down everybody! Remember to show us your best work in practice next Tuesday!" Coach Reece says. "We also still need 2 alternates, so don't get to excited."

"I totally forgot about alternates." Emarie says. I nod in agreement. "It's fine. We're better than alternates!" I say to cheer her up. If I'm being honest though.. I'm not too sure.

"You may go." The tall pale woman says. Everyone rushes out to tell their parents.

"Bye Imani. Could I get your number?" Emarie asked. "Yeah sure." I typed my number into her phone, "Bye!" I said. She waved goodbye.

"So?" My mom asks. "I made the team!" We jump up and down together. "I made a friend too, Emarie Murphay." "That's good! A friend for school!" She grinned. I rolled my eyes. "Starts Tuesday."

Tuesday? Next Tuesday? Like when practice starts? "Are you sure?" "Yes, I just checked." my mom says.

"Oh, so first day of school and dance is on the same day." I say as I open the car door and hop in. "Guess so." My mom says and she turns on the car and drives off.

I guess there's nothing I can do about that.