Searching The House

Two flights of stairs they walked, up to the third floor where the trouble would always start. It seemed amazing to Casey and Matias that this type of haunting could go on this long and only now be dealt with. As they climbed the stairs, Casey noticed something move behind them as they turned a corner.

He stopped. Matias stopped too to see what he was looking at. Down the stairs they could see in the foyer, in the dim light of the house, Mrs.Harvestspell dusting something on the wall. Such normal behavior wasn't suspicious, until they both had seen her glance at the stairs, see them, and then quickly look away.

"Is everything alright?" Mr.Harvestspell asked as he saw his guests were no longer following. But they soon turned headed back towards him.

"Yes everything is okay. But we noticed your wife was watching us go upstairs rather curiously," Matias said, rubbing his chin thoughtfully.

"Yes I am sorry about that. She tends to be rather on edge whenever we have company over nowadays. Like I said, she says she doesn't believe in the ghost. But I feel like she's lying. But come. The hallway is over here." And he walked on.

Casey and Matias both looked at each other, wondering why would Mrs.Harvestspell should be so denying of any supernatural horror yet possibly secretly believe it. But they followed their host another set of stairs and they came to the third floor.

The hallway was immensely large, and the state of care in here was even worse than the rest of the house they've seen. The wallpaper was practically almost gone, and paintings on the walls were hanging awkwardly on their nails. The little soft candle lanterns in the hall were so matted with thick cobwebs as was everything else, it was hard to even see the dim light inside. All the doors on each side of the hall were open. All except one, nearest towards the window at the end of the hall, which was closed with the shutters, revealing no light from the outside world.

Now it is to be said that the heating was on in the house to prevent it from getting cold in the autumn and winter. And they actually had to take off their coats once they were ushered inside the foyer. But upon entering the hall, the three were all greeted by an appalling coldness in the air.

"My it's chilly. Is a window open?" Casey asked, rubbing his shoulders to keep warm.

"No. And that's the thing, it's always so dreadfully cold up here even in the most blazing heat of summer,"Their host responded, shuddering a little himself.

"Hmm..that is a sure sign of something paranormal is afoot," Matias added. And as they drew near to the closed the door, the cold was intense, so much as to see their own breath in the dimly lit air.

"Is this the room?" Casey looked to the host, as Mr.Harvestspell was in the act of taking out keys.

"Yes. I keep it closed so that I know which room is the one where...t-those sounds come from." With that, he put the key in the lock and opened it.

Inside was a double bed room. Two beds lay next to each other against the wall facing the door. There was a nightstand, a broken mirror, and a wardrobe. The window in this room was shut and sealed too, revealing pitch black darkness inside. The air was frightfully cold upon entering. There was a fireplace in this room, but it was so old and matted with spider webs that it looked like it hadn't had a spark in years.

To make it cheerier however, Matias used his strength and opened the firmly closed shutters. And in an instant, glorious light filled the room. They could see the murky black pond in the backyard garden from the window.

"This is definitely where the source is coming from. We will set up camp here. Casey, be sure to make a note for this and let the chairman we've arrived," Matias remarked, rubbing his shoulders. But Casey said nothing. He was staring at something on the floor.