III.

The rhythmic beep of the heart monitor filled the cold, silent hospital room

                    The rhythmic beep of the heart monitor filled the cold, silent hospital room. Winnie sat on the end of the bed, staring solemnly at her sister's sick form. Her pale skin, her bald head, the cannula under her nose. Despite all that, Sara slept peacefully, not a single pained expression on the seven year old's face.

The child has recently finished all her chemotherapy. And now, the family anxiously awaited to hear if it has worked.

Finally, the doctor entered the room, but opted to call the parents into the hall. Winnie's brow furrowed as she watched through the window. Though she couldn't hear what they were saying, she could tell by the way her mother broke down that the news wasn't good.

Sara wasn't getting better. And they were gonna lose her.

Winnie's eyes quickly blurred with hot tears. She reached both her hands up to wipe her eyes, when she felt a small gently clutch her wrist. Sara's voice filled her ears.

"What's wrong?"

The older girl shook her head, refusing to look into her sister's face as she continued to cover her eyes. "Nothing, Sare."

"Don't cry. I'm gonna be okay."

Winnie opened her eyes but kept her gaze on her fingers.

"I'm gonna be okay. You're gonna find me." Suddenly, Sara's voice became oddly distorted.

Confused by her sister's words, Winnie looked up, only to jump back in surprise.

Instead of Sara, Will now sat in the hospital bed.

"You're gonna find me, right? Please, I'm scared."

The blonde girl began to hyperventilate. She looked out the window into the hall, but found her parents to be gone. No doctors were around either. Then, she noticed the lights had dimmed. Only one lamp lit the room, accompanied by a flickering fluorescent in the corner of the ceiling. The room was significantly colder.

"Winnie! Don't just sit around, do something! Help me, please!" Will screamed at her.

The girl stood up, walking backwards until she hit the wall. She then slid down and curled up on the floor, covering her ears with her hands.

"I'm sorry, Will! I'm trying! Please, stop! I'm trying!" Winnie screamed back through heavy sobs.

The boy continued to yell and cry for help. Winnie sobbed on the floor. Panic filled her chest as she reached her breaking point.

"No!" She yelled at the top of her lungs, holding her scream out as light bulbs and glass shattered.

Winnie's eyes shot open as she was shaken awake. She hyperventilated, looking around in panic.