Chapter Two - Getting Photo Ready Pt. 1

"Stay in your bag, sis. Just don't forget the Bible." - Unknown

+++

Just as she said she would, she packed everything she'd need for her graduation ceremony, into her car, and headed for her childhood home. She left her sanctuary, a small flat that expressed her fully, to go back to the East-side suburbs (in a gated community) to her old routine, in a quaint looking, light-blue two storey house with the infamous white picket fence.

She adored her family, but she loved her space and privacy even more, hence the reason why she moved out three years ago, so she could live in her own place. She also wanted to attend college and prosper in a career she wanted to, not what others dictated for her.

She despised when people took her choice from her.

Jumping out of her small silver Vitz, that she parked in the house's driveway, she called her dad to help her unpack her things. That was very ironic, as she was the one that put everything in there by herself.

He answered and said he'd be out in a minute, in an excited tone.

She was absolutely a daddy's girl, so she just smiled at his tone of voice and let out an affirmative, "Okay, daddy."

When she saw his tall frame stepping out of the door, she nearly ran to him, but she contained herself.

She's a mature 22-year-old woman. She doesn't run to anybody, she walks.

So, that's what she did, and they met half way and squeezed each other into a tight hug, rocking from side to side. This was something that made her tingly inside with her heart full of joy, ever since she was a child.

"Hey, my beautiful sun. I thought you forgot about your old man, chile." Her dad, Solan Bryant, pulled out of the hug and threw his muscled arm over his shorter daughter's shoulder. His B&BW's Gingham spray hit her clean in the nose, so she inhaled to smell more of it. Her daddy always smelled fresh, no matter the time of day or cologne he used.

Solan started walking in the direction of his house, completely forgetting the reason why he came outside in the first place. He was busy relaying to her what occurred when she hadn't visited them in the last three weeks, his empty hand making gestures to emphasize what he was talking about. His excitement was that palpable.

So'leil had to cut in to remind him, "Daddy, my things are still in the car, remember?" As she tried to steer him in the direction of her car. He was way too heavy for her, so he did so of his own accord.

"Oh, yeah. So', I was just so excited to see you that I forgot." He started walking to her car, shaking his head at his own forgetfulness, "Let me go and do this right now, so I can talk your ears off a bit later, then."

She smiled at her dad but to herself, she let out a silent, "Great! Oh, no..." as her father tended to speak a lot and So'leil wasn't really in the mood for long conversation. Nerves were eating her bone dry, and she felt her stomach turning into knots. When she remembered just how nervous she was, she went straight to trying to bite her nails.

Her dad noticed her nervous tic and slapped her hand from her mouth, saying, "Aht! Don't do that, lil' girl. That's only fixing to hurt you in the long run, and you know that!"

Looking at him in shock, she dropped her hand and pouted her full lips at him.

"That was uncalled-for..."

By this time, they had her graduation items in their hands, and she locked her car with the key's fob, walking towards the dark gray front door.

They walked into the house and Solan immediately shouted out, "Leila! Your middle girl child has arrived, make way for your sunshine!"