Chapter 21 | danger

MALIAS POV:

"Damn girl." Ruth mutters, cracking her stiff neck. A layer of sweat covers her skin, her pulled back ponytail now loose.

She leans forward, resting her hands on her knees as she breathes in deeply. "I'll Be" by Foxy Brown played on the loudspeaker, blurring the sounds of our boxing.

Ruth stands back up, circling me and watching me with a deep gaze. "You're getting better." She smiled, pushing my shoulder playfully.

I had been training with her for about two weeks now, making my legs feel like literal noodles. Gradually, the training started to get more intense, more mental workouts instead of physical workouts. Now, I feel stronger and healthier.

Some days, we would do physical workouts. And then some, we would do mental workouts, to guard your mind from manipulations from others.

It kind of scared me how and why Ruth knew all of this shit, but I definitely believe ignorance is bliss so I didn't bother asking.

It took me some time to get comfortable with training, since people would come into the big garage sometimes. Ruth would greet them, engage in a two minute conversation before focusing back on me. New people would come in everyday, either with car parts or with some files.

I roll my eyes at her, taking off the boxing gloves that felt like a hot sauna before climbing out of the ring. My body is slick with sweat, the tight sports bra I'm borrowing from Ruth almost cutting into my blood flow.

Ruth steps out, taking a cold bottle of water from the outdoor fridge before tossing into me. I sigh in contentment, pressing the bottle to my neck before taking a big gulp of it.

'You know," Ruth begins, her fingers clicking on a laptop, "I think you would like going to one of my races." She says, lighting a cigarette before taking a hit. I scrunch my brows, redoing my ponytail before answering. "Me? You think I would like to go to one of your races?" I point to myself, a confused look on my face.

"I just said so." She chuckles, causing me to roll my eyes.

"Honestly, I don't think I would enjoy it as much as you think." I say nervously, itching the back of my head.

"Listen, just try it out. I really think you would find it... interesting." Ruth walks up to me, pulling a card out of her pocket. She pushes it on my chest, giving me a slight smirk. "Give me a call if you've changed your mind."

_____________________________________

"Well aren't you just adorable." I gasp, giving him a soft belly rub. Archie smiles at the dolphin, chuckling softly. "He's definitely the most adorable one out of the bunch." He says.

The dolphin makes a laugh-like sound before swimming away, diving deep under the water before jumping back up.

I shake my head, amused by the dolphin's human-like personality before turning to Archie. "These dolphins definitely are... something." I laugh, my heart warming at the little children looking at them through the glass.

Archie nods, standing up from his crouching position, "They get those personalities from the trainers here." He says, walking over to another tank. This tank is full of sting rays of every kind, manta rays and more.

They glide in the water so gracefully, like a water angel almost. That's the thing that makes them my favorite marine animal, they look so at peace.

'I'm really lucky that I got to meet with you today, Malia." Archie sighs out, looking at the spacious tank. I shake my head, putting my hand out towards him. "No, I'm the lucky one. The way you are treating these animals is amazing, and can be life changing to them. This is an amazing organization that will definitely be getting a call from me later." I smile, making him shake my hand eagerly

His face lights up, pulling me into a tight hug before he sniffs. "Thank you so much." He gushes, pulling back to look at me again. He's an old man, but just for a second he looks years younger. Like all the stress has been blown away by a soft warm breeze.

Just as I'm about to reply, my ringtone goes off, pulling me away from the conversation. I apologize, before walking away to another tank. "Hello?" I ask, stuffing my left hand into my back pocket.

"Malia." My mothers voice rings in my ears, breathing heavily.

"Come quick." Her voice cracks.

_____________________________________