The Self-Flyer

One day. That's how long Guy had until his presentation for Snerz's honchos in Glurfsburg. He checked into the hotel several blocks away from the Snerzco. Building. His room contained quite a few priceless vases (one can only hope that they're insured), a coffee table, a personal bar, a fireplace, and out the window, he had a view of the pool, which gave a bright blue glow during the night.

At the coffee table, in front of the fire, he unrolled his blueprints, took the various parts of his invention that he was going to present (the Self-Flyer) and a small toolkit and got to work.
——
He remembered his parents parting words from when he graduated high school:

Dad: "I'm very happy for you, son. I just know big things are waiting for you in the future."

Mom: "Just remember, Guy. No matter how far you go, how many inventions you craft, or even if you meet the love of your life, we'll always love you."

Even with those in mind, especially his mother's words, Guy couldn't help but let his personal feelings and self-loathing get the better of him. He's had so many presentations before this one, all of which ended up exploding, which only further destroyed his self-esteem, "hope" pretty much becoming a trigger word for him.
——
Now he had all the hands and arms put together. He linked them together and secured them with bolts and washers to allow for more movement. Next, was the battery pack to get the Self-Flyer to function.
——
After his failed presentation with the can opener, Guy felt like packing up and going home, but a bad thought overcrowded his common sense: What if his family laughs at him? If he tells them everything, they most surely would. After all this time, trying to improve his craft, the fact that he had nothing to show for it would just make things worse.

While Guy didn't go home right away, mostly because he still had a couple doohickeys up his sleeve, he remembered what his dad had said to him: I just know big things are waiting for you in the future. But how was he gonna compare to a literal breadwinner or a literal homemaker? Or even to his grandfather, who's a literal mountain mover?
——
It is done. The Self-Flyer looked up to snuff for tomorrow. Naturally, the next step would be to test it, but Guy didn't want to try his luck just yet. One could only hope things went right tomorrow morning...