Chapter 60: For Better or For Worse

The stress is eating at him.

His laptop open he's working in our living room early in the morning with a cup of coffee on the table.

He takes a sip of his coffee, hair disheveled, his eyes tired like he hadn't slept for days.

Exhaustion is his posture, shoulder tense as he works on his laptop.

Ever since our last visit with his grandfather, Griffin had immersed himself in his works, even more, I didn't think it was possible but here he is. He told me to go to bed before him last night, I went to bed without him and woke up without him. I don't know if he slept at all, or if he just woke up before me.

He needs rest.

I open our fridge and grab the overnight oatmeal I had prepared for him in a medium size mason jar.

I filled it with oatmeal, oat milk, Greek yogurt, chia seeds, and fresh diced apple, and drizzle it with honey.

I open the jar and place a spoon inside for him "You need to eat something, besides drinking coffee." I place the jar close to him.

He looks up with a tired smile, dark shadows under his eyes "I think my hands are too busy to feed myself. Maybe if you feed me, I'll be able to eat?"

"Griffin, did you go to bed last night?" I ask instead. His eyes are full of exhaustion despite how playful he tries to be.

He averts his eyes "I did." He said looking back down at his laptop.

Why do I get the feeling he's lying to me?

I place both hands on either side of his face and turn him to me "Baby, let me help you." I whisper searching his eyes

Griffin turns his body completely to me before resting his head on my shoulder softly.

"Whatever you're going through...let's do it together. Don't carry all the burden by yourself. We're in this together. For better or for worse, we have each other. Don't do this to yourself, please." I beg him

He wraps his arms around my waist, I smooth my hand over his hair.

"I think you should rest. When you wake up let's talk. Ok?" I reason with him

He remains silent.

"Please, for me?"

He looks up then, he looks even more tired up close. It's hard seeing him like this.

"I'll throw in my lap as your pillow" I negotiate with him

A smile finally stretches from his lips "Ok" he agrees

"And when you wake up, you have to eat this oatmeal ok?"

He seems to think it over.

"Only if you feed it to me." He grins

I kiss his forehead "Of course"

I place the overnight oatmeal back in the fridge before I lead him by his hand to our sofa, I grab a pillow and a blanket. I place the pillow on my lap, Griffin gets in and places his head on it.

"How's your stomach?" He looks up at me, a hand reaches up and gently rubs my hair between his fingers, feeling it.

"They still feel a little uneasy," I said smiling down at him

"We should see a doctor; it could be something serious."

I shake my head

"Please? It'll help make me feel better." He said