I Can't Be With You.

I stop in my tracks, horrified.
"They... You were kidnapped to..." I put my hand over my mouth. "How?"

John has a grave look in his eyes.
"I'll tell you everything, but please, call the police now."

I look at the phone in my hand.
"Oh yeah, right, sorry."
I press the 'call' button and put the phone on speaker so John could listen in. It rings twice and then a voice says,
"911, what's your emergency?"
I give them the address to my house.
I explain in short that I'm a doctor that was interrogated and tortured for classified patient information and now have five men unconscious on my bedroom floor.

"Are you alone?" The dispatcher asks.

"No, a man who was kidnapped to torture me helped me fight them off."

"Okaaay... Sit tight. I'm sending a crew over as we speak."

"Please send them as fast as you can. I don't want any of them to wake up before you get here. The man that helped me fight them off has sustained an injury."

"Do you need me to send an ambulance too?"

"No. I'm a doctor. I patched him up."

"I hope you don't mind if I send one anyway, just in case."

"I don't mind." I roll my eyes.
I look over at John and cover the mouthpiece.
I whisper, "Why ask what I want if you're just gonna do what you want in the end anyway?"

John chuckles and shrugs his shoulders.

We hear a knock on the door.

"Come in," I call out.

"They're here," I say into the phone. "Thanks for your help."

"Okay, have a nice day."

I hang up and look over at John. "Did I not just explain to this man our situation? And he says have a nice day?"

John smirks catching onto my mood. "Yeah, can you even believe these people?"

I smile at him.

The policemen pile into my house one after the next. The dispatcher was not kidding when he said he was going to send a crew!

Some assemble around the bodies putting the men in handcuffs and lifting them out into their vehicles.
Others gather around us and shower us with endless inquiries about every detail, wanting to know how everything went down.

For four hours it was nothing but questions upon questions.
They were very impressed with John's valiance and compassion. They were astonished by my quick thinking and acting skills. Most of all they were in awe of our partnership.

One officer told us,
"The way John was able to communicate with you and you immediately understood what was expected of you. And the way John understood what was expected of himself by the look in your eyes... " He shook his head.
"That kind of understanding between individuals -to manifest itself instantaneously in a relationship- is a big rarity. Cherish the connection you two have, because a bond like the one you two share doesn't come around much."

We politely thank all the officers and tell them to keep us updated on the men who interrogated me.

"Have a good night." The officers tell us, and they leave.

The ambulance never comes.

"What time is it? I'm so tired." John yawns.

I glance at the clock on my night table. "It's 8:30 pm and you need proper rest if you're going to heal right," I say, springing into full-on doctor mode.