Chapter 15

Natalie sat down on the floor in her new apartment. Boxes surrounded her. Yesterday before dinner, Damon and Raelyn helped her move most of her boxes. And Reed had given her his trailer so now all the boxes were in her home. Over the weekend, she would ask for more help moving the furniture. But for now, Natalie was living out of moving boxes.

She deserved it.

After closing all the windows, and checking for cameras around her home, Natalie was sure that no one could possibly be watching her. But she didn't put it past Vincent to have someone waiting at the entrance to the apartment.

She shivered. This was getting out of hand.

Natalie somehow needed to warn Noah about the fact that she was one hundred percent positive that the captain of the fire station, Vincent Santiago, had it out for him and was the one who blamed him for dealing counterfeit bills.

After a thorough investigation, she discovered that the bills Noah gave her were in fact, real.

So now, she closed the case with Vincent and provided her evidence that he was innocent. But, Vincent still had it out for Noah and she had no doubt he would do something else to hurt Noah. And Natalie took it upon herself to stop Vincent.

She wasn't exactly sure if she was doing it because she felt guilty for hurting Noah, or if she did it because she cared for him.

Maybe it was both?

Natalie sighed and leaned against the wall. This was getting out of hand.

After a few minutes, she stood up and peeked out her window. There seemed to be nothing suspicious, so maybe she'd wait until the sun started to set and then sneak out to Noah's house and tell him what was going on.

It was risky, but so was everything else now. She didn't want to get Raelyn involved, Raelyn had already had enough trauma for a lifetime. And besides, Raelyn was still recovering from a stab wound.

"Ugh." Natalie groaned. She had messed up big time.

And now it was up to her to fix it all.

Lord, sorry I haven't talked to you in a while. Things have gotten real crazy. And I've made some real big mistakes. I don't even know how to fix them. Noah barely gives me the time of day now. It's only been a few days since I told him the truth, but it feels like a lifetime. He was really good to me. Those few dates we had. I'm not really sure what to do now. Could you give me some guidance? Any idea I have at the moment results in someone getting hurt. Physically or emotionally. Or both. And I can't even call the police or Vincent will kill Noah. And I don't want that. I don't want anyone to get killed. I need to figure out how to stop Vincent or get people to see that he's the real criminal here. But how? I can't tell anyone and only Raelyn knows that Vincent was the one who blamed Noah. And she doesn't even know that Vincent is the fire chief. Ugh, God, thanks for listening to that. Now all I need is guidance.

"Amen." Natalie spoke aloud.

Natalie dug out her Bible from one of the many boxes and spent some time meditating on it. She would do her devotions until the sun went down, then secretly go to Noah's and explain everything, risking both of their safety.

Hopefully something positive would come out of it.

Natalie waited until a pretty sunset could be seen, then she grabbed her purse from the counter and headed out the door. At the entrance to the apartments she quickly noted that no one was waiting around for her, which was a good thing.

She scurried to her car, worried about being out in the open, alone. Her private investigator instincts were kicking in high gear right now.

She shut her car door quickly and started her car. Backing out, she checked all around her for anyone backing out at the same time. Luckily, no one was.