Wasting time

Feeling like you're wasting time is one of the most overwhelmingly terrifying thoughts one could ever have. Having a whole new life littered with opportunities but not having a plan, might be equally as bad. Just sitting there watching the seconds and opportunities go by. That was Karl's situation at the moment. He never had a plan, he never even had a dream. Yet, when an opportunity arose to move overseas after high school, he decided to take it.

Now, here he was, half way across the world and not a clue with what to do with his new life.

When you're in high school and you don't have a plan, people tell you it's okay to not have everything figured out. But what about after graduating? And what about a year after that? What if six months after graduating you're sitting in a new home, in a new country and still don't know what you want to do? Is it still okay then?

Some part of him believed that running away and starting over would magically make the pieces of his life fall into place but he couldn't have been more wrong. He did enjoy his new home though, he liked how it was mostly cold and he liked how much pride everyone seemed to have in their country. Everytime he would go into the near by town he would count how many times he would see the flag of England. The least amount of times had been three. He would have enjoyed his new home more if he didn't feel so stuck. He may not have had a plan but he knew he didn't want to stay at home.

Although he had moved overseas with his family, his main goal was to leave them. He wanted independence, he wanted his own life. But moving out is hard when you don't know anyone or where anything is. Right now he had one goal; move out and hopefully end up in London.

He knew he needed to find a job but finding a job in the small town his parents stayed in felt pointless when all he wanted to do was get away. It didn't even feel worth while to make friends in the small town, the rental agreement his parents had on the house was only for two months anyways. Even if he didn't move out, he would leave the area he was in now.

It had been about a month since he arrived in the UK, it was overwhelming exciting at first but now each day felt more suffecating than the last. He was stuck sleeping on the couch in the living room in the rental house since there were only two rooms and of course those went to his parents and his younger brother. He hardly got a moment to himself thanks to this arangement. His little brother would come into the living room first thing in the morning to eat breakfast and watch tv and after that he would hardly leave for the rest of the day. Frankly, Karl was getting pretty sick of having to beg for privary in a space that was supposed to be his own. The busy road right outside his window didn't help either, every morning and every evening he would hear cars leaving to go to work and arriving back home again. The cars he could deal with though, at least they never invaded his space.

He tried to look at the postives though. There were things here that he abolsuelty loved. He loved how nice everyone was. He loved the safe public transport, he loved the accents of everyone he spoke to and he loved London. He loved the vintage shops and the street food and he loved how by just walking down the street, he could hear at least three different languages. It was the small things like that he enjoyed. One day he would live there, that's when things would look up for him. It would happen soon, he would make sure of it.