Blue 1

Blue sat down at the same cafeteria table he always sat at. At the same time as usual with the same lunch as usual.

Usual is a nice word.

Nothing had to change. He could continue to study and get good grades in school, hang out with friends, and go out with Cricket. None of that ever needed to change.

Blue looked up and saw his friend, Sundew walking towards their table. Sundew was tall with long wavy hazel hair that went well past her shoulders. Recently, she had put two green streaks in it. Her skin was an olive tan and complimented her green eyes. She was wearing a green shirt with PHS printed on the front and loose jeans.

Sundew usually was scowling. Or frowning. Or at least had some sort of skeptical or unimpressed look on her face. But not now, and Blue knew why. Willow was walking with Sundew, the only person who could make Sundew smile like that. Willow had long hair as well, but it was lighter than Sundew's and she wasn't quite as tall. But she was almost always smiling and could see the good in any situation.

The two of them had been going out a little longer than Blue and Cricket had, and they often all went on double dates.

Sundew sat down. "Cricket isn't here yet?"

Blue shook his head. "She isn't often late like this unless-"

Cricket slid to a stop next to the table and sat down next to Blue. She was breathing hard but had a happy glow around her face. "Sorry I'm late! Professor Glowworm let class out early and I thought I had time to return a book to the library but I got distracted by a very interesting edition of 2,000 Species of Venomous Creatures to Know Before You Go to The Poison Jungle that said there are spiders big enough to eat birds! Can you believe that?"

"-Unless it's book related." Blue finished.

"There are plants big enough to eat birds." Sundew told Cricket. "And they do."

Cricket had dark curly hair that pooled on her shoulders. She had dark skin and warm brown eyes looking through round golden-rimmed glasses. She wore black capris and a yellow sweater and had a canvas book bag with an embroidered bumblebee in the corner.

"Whoa!" Cricket's eyes widened as Sundew went into unnecessary detail about bird-eating plants. Blue felt his stomach squirm. He hadn't quite gotten used to Sundew's weird plant fascination.

"How are classes?" Cricket finally asked after several plant-related questions.

Sundew groaned. "Well, if I get higher than a D in geometry, I'll throw a party."

"And I'll be there!" Cricket laughed. "Honestly, Sundew, studying isn't that hard."

"Yeah, and flying isn't that hard either. Not for birds." Sundew replied. "Maybe I'll jump off a building. Best case scenario, I can fly!"

"Sundew, don't be ridiculous." Cricket rolled her eyes. "If you put half the effort you put into being clever into studying, you would be a great student."

"Way ahead of you." Sundew smirked. "I don't put any effort into being clever. This is just who I am."

Blue smiled at his friends' back and forth banter. This should never change and never will.

Over the loudspeaker, principal Monarch made an announcement, interrupting their conversation.  "Hello, students of Pantala High School. We have an important announcement to make. Me and the other teachers have decided that as a learning experience and a way to allow some responsibility and decisions to be made by a student, we are organizing for a Student President. This student will hold a certain level of responsibility for the other students and will be consulted in student related decisions." Monarch continued to explain how they'd vote for either of two candidates and how the candidates could campaign. "If anyone is interested in signing up or just wants more information, come ask me in my office."

The cafeteria noise hadn't dulled during or after the announcement, leaving Blue wondering if anyone had listened.

A student president. That would be interesting. He tried imagining holding that kind of responsibility and his stomach tightened. That was definitely not for him.

He made eye contact with Sundew, who's eyes looked like they were trying to tell him something. She pointed with her eyes at Cricket, who was talking animatedly with Willow.

Oh.

Of course! Sundew had thought along the same lines as Blue had. They were both uninterested or unqualified for the role of president, but they knew someone who might be.

"You should run for president!" Both Blue and Sundew said at the same time at Cricket.

Cricket jumped in surprise at being adressed by three people at once. "What? President? Why?"

"You'd be awesome at it." Blue said. "You're really smart and are a great organizer. I don't know anyone better for the job than you."

"He's right." Sundew chimed in. "No one else is probably going to want the role either. There'd be no competition."

"I don't think you guys get it." Cricket said. "That's a very significant role with a lot of pressure. I don't think I'd be good at it."

"Nonsense! PHS hasn't done anything like this before, so we don't know what all the duties are. For all we know, you could be a figurehead."

"Which you'd also be good at." Blue said supportively.

"Monarch said they'd be consulted in many student related decisions. I'd say that's significant."

"I agree with Cricket." Willow said gently. "It does sound difficult. Although she would be good at it, if she doesn't want to, that's her decision."

Blue nodded. "That's true. Don't feel pressured, we just thought you'd be good at it."

Sundew didn't look convinced, but she stopped pressing it.

The four of them ate their lunches and conversation naturally flowed to other things. Sundew and Willow went on a date over the weekend and got comically lost at an amusement park. Luna started babysitting an adorable four year old. Bumblebee was learning to walk.

Blue felt the pleasant happiness that you get when you know everything is as it should be. This minor events that they were laughing about. These little moments that made them happy.

This should never change.