034

You don't know how much 010 had heard or how he managed to stay so quiet following you. He's scampered far off from Papa's office now, maybe even managed to slide back through the door that separated the staff from the children. He could have made it to the rainbow room for all you knew.

You try to keep your composure, gliding through the empty hallway and back to your room. The walkman sits at your bedside. Music always eased your stress and worries. At this point, you weren't sure if you could manage your rainbow room shift without it.

The children take little notice to you when you enter. They converse awkwardly with each other or play with their toys in silence. All except for 010, who's eyes catch yours before they flit back down to his chess board.

He keeps his eyes low even as you take the seat across from him. Nervous. Confused. His face was a contortion of both. In the corner, 001 glances between you and the boy suspiciously.

"Can I play?"  you ask.

010 nods slowly. He was never one to turn down a game with you. Of course, he didn't remember that part, or the many times he's played with you before.

The game goes on for a steady while. You can tell by his cool composure that he thinks he's going to win, but you've played with him far too many times to lose.

Fifteen minutes in and you have him trapped. His eyes widen. No one had ever beat him as fast as this. Not since 001 had cheated that day.

He's not ready to give up yet. He strives for one of your pieces, in hopes of regaining his upper hand in the game. It's useless. You're one move away from checkmate.

"You win," he gasps after you make your final move.

You smile and rise from your seat. "It was fun," you say, pushing the chair into the table. You're about to take your position in the corner, when 010 stops you.

"What's that?" he asks. His finger points to the walkman at your side. His eyes squint at the headphones around your neck.

You unclasp the object from your waist, taking the headphones off your ears. "Oh this?" You hold it out to him. "It's a walkman. It plays music."

His hands envelop around the object. "Music?"

"Mhm. Do you like music?"

010 pauses as if pondering the question. He's still eyeing the cassette player in amazement. There was only the one song inside. You Can't Rely by Counterfeit.

The song had gotten you through a lot, but for some strange reason, you wanted him to have it. The lyrics had saved you from this hellhole. They helped you realize how terrible of a place this was. And ironically, they reminded you of how much you couldn't rely on anyone else except for yourself...except for 001.

Maybe it would save him too.

010 puts the headphones around his neck, mimicking how you had had it earlier. "Music?" His eyebrows knit together, as if trying to remember something from long ago. "Yes..." he says, breathily, "I think... I like it."

"Well, you can have it then. Put it on your ears and press the button right there," you instruct.

The music is still faintly audible even after he puts the headphones over his ears. His eyes close and he smiles. You recognized that expression. That expression that said you were completely lost in the music. It's nice to see someone else enjoy it for a change.

"Wait," he says, taking his headphones off as you walk away.

"Yes?"

"What's your name?"