Meeting Old Friends

Small talks and murmurs could be heard throughout the Viking camp. It was currently night time. The tribesmen were resting after a long day of hard work, doing repairs on the ships. The Vikings were gathered around multiple campfires. Talking and socialising among themselves, trying to cheer up themselves, in an attempt to forget about their troubles for the moment as they ate the rations they had with themselves.

Astrid and her friends were also gathered around their own campfire. Talking among themselves and eating the rations they were given. While the gang chatted among themselves, Astrid was mostly quiet. She'd respond if any of them asked her something directly, but didn't make any attempts at conversation herself. She was aimlessly fiddling with her food, lost deep in her own thoughts.

"Astrid." The sudden call from Ruffnut snapped her out of her thoughts. She looked at her friend, and found her staring at her with concern in her eyes. "Are you okay?" Ruffnut asked as she put her hand on her shoulder.

"Yeah, yeah. I'm fine, Ruffnut. Nothing to worry about." Astrid said and focused back on her food.

"Are you sure Astrid? You've been very quiet the whole day." This time, it was Snotlout.

"I said I'm fine." Astrid replied, sounding a bit angry this time.

"Hey, give her some space, man. She's been through a lot already." Tuffnut told Snotlout.

"Guys, can we just talk about something else? I'm not in the mood to discuss anything related to this." Astrid said.

"It's okay Astrid. But if you need someone to talk to, we're always here for you. We understand your situation." Ruffnut told her.

"No, you don't understand!" Astrid snapped at her. "None of you do! You can never understand...." Astrid nearly broke down in tears as she said the last part. Her voice weakened as she finished her sentence.

Ruffnut placed her hand back on Astrid's shoulder and pulled her in a hug. She gently rubbed her back in an attempt to sooth her as she held her against her body. The others decided not to say or comment anything. Astrid whimpered as she tried to hold back herself from breaking down.

"Hey, it's okay. Don't give up now. We don't know what the future holds for us. The only thing we can do is wait and see what it brings upon us." Ruffnut told her.

"Yeah, Hiccup has always had a crush on you and you two were such a perfect couple. I doubt even gods can keep you two apart." Fishlegs said.

Astrid slightly blushed at the mention of that. Suddenly they all noticed four Dragons flying over them. The other Vikings were alarmed for a moment, but they all calmed down as the Dragons flew towards the inner area of the island.

" Huh? That was a bit weird." Snotlout said.

"Oh shut it Snotlout. It was probably nothing. At least nothing that should concern us." Ruffnut said in an irritated tone.

And with that, they turned their mind away from it. But little did they know, the arrival of these Dragons really wasn't a normal thing. Because, with those Dragons also came four unlikely guests.

(Meanwhile with Hiccup)

Hiccup was inside his bedroom. He sat on Toothless's bed. The said Dragon was also laid on the same bed, with his head lying on Hiccup's lap. A big bandage was wrapped around Toothless's neck. Hiccup gently rubbed Toothless's head as the Dragon seemed to relax under this gesture.

Hiccup slightly smiled as he watched the calm on Toothless's face. But then the recent memories flooded his mind again. Hiccup leaned back and looked up at the ceiling. To be honest, he regretted his behaviour towards Astrid. But he just couldn't let go of her betrayal. Hiccup closed his eyes as a single tear rolled down his left cheek.