𝑱𝒆𝒔𝒔𝒂𝒎𝒚, 𝒕𝒉𝒆 𝑩𝒓𝒂𝒗𝒆 𝑹𝒂𝒗𝒆𝒏

Four

A month has passed before I could return back to London, to the Burgess Mansion. Due to the continuous unravelling of the dream realm, the privilege I once had to easily travel to the waking world is now being restricted.

Perhaps fate was toying with me, or I'm starting to become the epitome of bad luck, because during my second visit to Lord Morpheus, something bad happened.

"Hello, my Lord," I greeted, flashing a small smile as I made myself visible before him. "I'm back."

"It seems you have a knack for arriving at the right time." He whispered, loud enough for me to hear, then pointed around the empty room which was housing only him and I at that moment.

"Perhaps it's one of my gifts," I grinned. "I can't take credit for this. Jessamy is upstairs wreaking havoc to shoo the guards away from here so I could work."

"Should I be worried about the alliance you're starting to form with my raven?"

"You should be very worried. Jessamy loves me more now." I teased, making him crack a tiny smile.

"That will not happen." He declared, being too familiar with his raven.

"For a moment, I thought you'd chide me for returning. Instead, you're happy to see me again, aren't you?"

He looked like he was refraining himself to smile again. "I will not admit nor deny that."

"Sure, be that kind of friend," I said, humoring him. "How have you been here?"

He sighed. "Trapped."

"I will help you get out, Morpheus," I said. "I've researched everything I can about the bind that's imprisoning you and I found nothing helpful. I won't give up, though."

"Thank you, Katrien."

I stared at him for a moment. Never once have I heard him say thanks to anyone and now, he's told me that.

"Thank me when I get you out of here," I said, breaking my silence and stare. "Now if you'll excuse me, I have work to do."

"And I will be here, watching, doing nothing." He replied, letting out a heavy sigh in dismay.

I just gave him a look that says it's okay before I sat on the ground and started that work I said.

I took out the handful of potions I concocted back at the Dreaming and the trinkets I hope would help break the circle that was trapping the King of my realm against his will.

One by one, I used it to see if it works. And one by one, it fails me.

"These bloody things are useless, all of it!" I exclaimed in frustration to myself, not letting Morpheus's hope lessen as he continued watching me intently.

"I would understand if none of it works, Katrien," He spoke, putting my frustration to its end. "You and all of what you brought from the Dreaming draw power from me. Right now, I am powerless hence why none of it will work."

"I'm sorry for failing. Again."

"You did not."

I looked away from him. "I wish I knew what to do."

"Jessamy looks like she does," He said, looking up. "Beating us both to it."

"What is she doing?" I asked, distracting myself from failing another attempt.

"She started a fire."

I chuckled lightly. "That sounds like something she will do."

"She's coming."