CHAPTER 7

Evi wasn't in any rush to get the Journey started, so when Byron said they would need some time to collect themselves and their things, she had to consciously keep the relief from showing in any way. Between the adrenaline draining out of her body and the antidote that counteracted the Wulanin poison racing through her veins, she was exhausted. She curled up on the recliner and attempted to get some sleep.

For a while, her mind raced with the events of the day, and she second-guessed whether or not she should have agreed to the Journey. Every time she thought about it, her stomach would tighten and tingle, making her feel like she wanted to throw up and hide away in a hole. She still wondered if they should take Liam to the hospital, knowing deep inside that it would be a wasted effort.

Eventually, the need for rest overtook her brain, and she drifted into a dark, dreamless sleep. It felt like she had been out for days when a soft clicking sound penetrated her skull and pulled her out of a REM cycle. She pulled the blanket over her head so that she could drift back into oblivion, but it was pointless. The clicking grew louder, and her curiosity got the best of her. Moving the blanket from her head and cracking open an eye, she noticed Liam sitting up on the couch. He stared across the room, at nothing in particular, and snapped his index finger over his thumbnail.

"You all right?" Evi asked.

He jumped slightly at the sound of her voice, then turned his gaze to look at her. "I don't know. Am I?"

Evi moved the blanket to her waist and sat up in the chair. Gray darkness had settled over the apartment, which indicated that it wasn't as late as she thought it was. Probably somewhere around two or three in the morning. Inwardly, she sighed. She was going to need a lot more sleep than that if she was going to be of any use to anyone—but she doubted she was going to get it any time soon.

"What do you remember?" She moved to the edge of the chair and placed her elbows on her knees. This put her within an inch of Liam.

His lips turned downward in a frown. "All of it. But especially the pain." The last part of his statement came out as a whisper.

She reached out and touched his knee. He put his hand over hers. "Do you feel any different?"

He sat silently for a moment, his eyes moving back and forth slightly as he scanned his body. "No. I mean, not really. Everything has a dull ache to it, like lava is running through my veins. But it's not much different than how I would feel after a tough day at work and all my muscles were sore." He tightened his grip around her fingers. "What do you think he did?"

Evi shook her head. "I honestly don't know. That's why we have to talk to someone who might have some answers."

Liam turned his head so that his gaze met hers. "Were you seriously thinking about hooking up with the creep?"

Evi leaned back in her chair, her hand sliding from Liam's knee and she let out a deep sigh. "Really? With everything else that's going on, that's where you want to take this conversation?"

"I have to know if you're going to abandon me, Evi. If so, let me know now. I'll find my own way through this. I'll figure this out on my own. I don't want to count on you only to have you let me down."

Evi sat back up in the chair, her jaw set and her eyes staring at him hard. "Well, that seems like an unfair statement to make."

"Does it? Because that seems like exactly what you were planning on doing. I don't know you very well."

"You're right. You don't." Her tone was hard. "But I wouldn't expect you to. It's not like we've known each other for that long. Only a few days, and most of that time wasn't spent talking and getting to know one another."