Chapter 5: Friends or enemies?

Thyra jumped of Midnight and closed the arena door behind her. She sighted and turned to the twins. 'Alright, new rule. If you see glowing water, DON'T drink it.'

Ruffnut and Tuffnut stared at each other with a dumb look. 'Not even when it looks really funny?'

Thyra glared at them. 'No.'

She then turned her gaze to Hiccup who was still hugging Toothless. She walked over and placed a hand on Toothless' head. She turned to Hiccup. 'I'm sorry about my brother. I knew something was of with Toothless but I never imagined that my brother could have stolen him from you.'

'It's okay, I got him back now. But, how did you and Midnight- you know. Viggo is your brother and everything... Right?'

Thyra looked down. 'Right.' She looked up and stared at everyone's faces. She and Snotlout had landed as safely as possible when your name was Snotlout Jorgenson and Fishlegs had also arrived at the arena. The twins came down safely as well and Astrid, Heather and Hiccup already went there to find Toothless.

Thyra stared at their dragons. It was clear they cared for each other. Yet she did not like the fact that there were so many people. After living with dragons for half of your life you don't become very fond of humans, she could bear them, accept them, even care for a few of them like Viggo but that was it.

She looked back at Hiccup. Midnight trusted him, even so far that she took a like on him after just touching him. Then he must be something special...

'Midnight saved me when I jumped of a cliff.'

They all stared at her in shock. 'But, why would you jump of a cliff. Isn't that more like something we should do?' Tuffnut asked her confused.

Fishlegs glared at him. 'You tried to kill yourself?'

Thyra hesitated before nodding. 'Sort of. Ryker has always told me how useless I was and he eventually told me I could do good by jumping of a cliff. A part of me knew I would die but a naïve part of me wanted to do good so badly that I took that risk. He told me I might got wings and fly away.'

She chuckled. 'Well I guess that sort of happened. I don't know what she saw in me but Midnight saved my life that morning. I was only seven. I waited at the cliff all day, playing with Midnight until she suddenly jumped in a tree. That's when I turned around and saw my brother. He begged me not to jump, thinking I was still going to. It's when Ryker showed up and asked me why I was still alive, he was ready to kill me, I'm sure of it. Only Midnight intervened.'

Thyra placed her hand on Midnight's head with a warm smile. Hiccup noticed the strong bond but didn't say anything yet.

'She took me away that day. I lived with her on the island here for five years before I went back. I wanted to stay but I didn't wanna lose Viggo. It took him another five years to finally agree with my terms and leave each other alone. I would still be able to come and go whenever I pleased and he wouldn't hurt Midnight or any dragon on my island as long as I don't attack him.'

They all looked at her in shock. Midnight noticed how sad her rider had become and pressed her muzzle in her hand to comfort her. Hiccup placed a hand on her shoulder. 'I'm sorry for you.'

Thyra smiled weakly. 'Yeah, me too. Sometimes I wonder what would have happened if Midnight hadn't taken me away. If Ryker never told me to jump in the first place. I could have become a huntress. I could have killed-'

She pressed her lips together and looked down. Not able to think of it.

'Hey, it's okay. I mean, I shot Toothless out the sky...' Hiccup looked at Toothless. Thyra stared at him in shock. 'Really? Never would have though that. What changed your mind of killing him?'