4. Alana can't decide!

After Luoana's insistence, Alana agreed to spend the next day together, resting and trying to distract themselves of life, of Alana's problems and Luoana's worry of being alone at a job she hated.

Despite it working, the merlin spent the rest of the week sinking in herself and depression, wondering what she should do, trying to decide what had the biggest priority. Her relationship with her mom wasn't the best and she knew she wasn't in the hospital for something that big, that she'd be ok in a few days, still... Should she go visit her? And what about the contest? The concept was accepted, but she hasn't recorded anything, barely planned. And looking for jobs? Luoana wasn't and shouldn't be able to take care of all the expenses by herself and she hated that job, without her by her side, it was a matter of time until she quitted. What was more important? The answer felt obvious, but it wasn't that easy, at least not for her. Was she able to make a decision and stick to it like that? Each one meant a change, each one meant giving up everything else.

It seemed like each day she woke up, her decision had changed and was clear and obvious, but determination faded as night appeared. Days felt heavier and heavier, how could everything change so much in just one week? Everything was happening too fast, the deadlines suddenly merged together, time was running out and it never stopped.

"Roommate talk? I was expecting it, but not that fast." Friday night came with a weird announcement from Luoana, both sat down on the couch. The quetzal's seriousness erased the merlin's smile for a few seconds.

"I'm going to quit."

"I know..." she smiled again.

"But not cause of what you think..." her expression seemed unsure, almost embarrassed, making her friend confused and worried. "Did you see the golden dragon flying around the city today?"

"Wait, what?" almost falling for the distraction, she shook her head. "No, no. Right to the point, Luoana." Hearing her say her full name made her gulp, start playing with and stare at her thumbs.

"I... got a... job offer" another smile.

"That's great! Why are you so worried about telling me about it?"

"From... Scrooge McDuck" with her eyebrows frowning, she faced her.

"The richest duck alive?" her eyes widened as she nodded.

"Turns out..." She started talking faster. "He was there, the day we went to the theater. And he heard my schedule. He's been looking for a secretary or personal assistant so his housekeeper went to the cafe today and asked me to do it cause he was amazed by my organization and something about her not being made for that job-" Before she could say another word, her arms got grabbed, full of excitement her friend smiled at her.

"That's amazing! It's a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity! Why are you acting so weird about it? Didn't you accept it right away? What-"

"I'd have to move... To the Mcduck's Manor" suddenly, the tension only Luoana felt, fell into the whole room, the merlin let her go as her smile faded. "I'm sure if I talk to them, you could move with me! Maybe even work for him! Record his biography or some sort of documentary or-"

"It's ok"

"What?"

"You should go, accept it." She smiled weakly

"But-"

"Geez, Lu. I'm literally 5 years older than you and yet you still treat me like a child." she chuckled, trying to ease the tension. "Do it, you'll be a fool if you don't." She opened her beak but got interrupted. "I mean, you are a fool but..." her friend finally chuckled. "I accepted to be part of that ridiculous contest, so you owe me this." Luoana finally smiled and hugged her.

Just when she thought things couldn't get worse, everything in Alana's life finally crumbled down and got to change. Everything but her. Saturday felt surreal, it was like two weeks went by in just one hour and the time to make a decision was running out. If she was going to participate in the contest, she needed to get everything done before Thursday. If she was going to get a job, it had to be before Luoana left on Thursday. If she was going to visit her mom, it had to be before... It felt like the world ended on Thursday, she had to solve her life before Thursday.

Her head felt like it was going to explode, she did her best to keep herself distracted, calm, clear enough to hang on. Walks, re-reading the script, chatting with her uncle constantly to know about her mom, gym, swimming, making the list of what she'd need for her participation, getting everything on her hands but, at the same time, letting everything go. Avoiding all kinds of media, fighting the urge to talk about it with Luoana, doing her best to stop herself from getting trapped inside her head. Sunday screamed on her face to make a decision. She had to start moving, no matter the choice, time was running out and she wouldn't be able to do anything if she didn't decide.

"I KNEW THERE WAS NO WAY 35 PEOPLE WOULD FIT IN" the sound of a complaint and the main door startled her.

"I'm sorry, what?"

"And you LIED to me AGAIN" completely out of context, Alana saw her friend throw herself on the couch, right next to her. "You said the party at the cafe would be last week, but it was TODAY!" That's right, she was so self submerged she completely forgot about the cafe and Luoana's struggles. I'm such a jerk... She thought. "HOW AND WHY DO PEOPLE KEEP DOING THIS?!"

Somehow hearing her friend complain so freely made her snap out of everything for a few minutes, like, despite how bad Luoana felt, if hearing her throw a tantrum over that made it exactly what she needed at that moment.

"At least they gave me something..." she groaned as she left a small cupcake on her friend's lap. "Also, my future boss appeared on TV. Apparently he found Atlantis' treasure? What kind of duck is he? Some sort of swindler?" She gasped, Alana got lost in her cupcake, staring at it and absent minded listening to her friend complain. "Does Atlantis exist? What if he's an adventurer or-" she faced her friend, watching her looking at the dessert. "Al? Are you ok?"

The merlin's mind started scolding her, all this time she was having a crisis, making Luoana worry and taking care of her, why should she? She was younger than her and she was an adult, what kind of friend was she? Unsure to let those thoughts sink or encourage her, she stood up.

"No matter what I do, no matter what I choose..." she started talking to the air, the quetzal just stared at her confused. "No matter what, I'll lose. Bad things come with every choice, no matter what it is, everything will come out wrong" worried, her friend finally stood up.

"What? Al, what are you talking about?"

"Should I give up?" She finally faced her, cupcake still in hand, getting a vigorous but confused shaky head as an answer. "I'll be out" she ran to get her coat and bag, as well as her video camera. "Don't wait for me"

With those words, she left the building and an extremely confused friend. I'm going to fail, I'm going to lose everything no matter what I choose. I can't win, all the options will bring something bad, something heavy with them. She thought as she walked down the street, aimlessly. If that's the case then... She stared at her camera and her cupcake, her head seemed to throb, rumbling louder and louder, threatening to explode. Her beak clenched, her eyes wanted to close and her hands and shoulders got tense. I know what I'll do...